Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Dashing Big Red and Alfalfa

I bought a couple of bales of really nice alfalfa this past week at Vinton Feed Store.  They alway have the best alfalfa.  I got 2 three string bales.

I have just tore off little handfuls for the horses - no one is getting a flake.  Red is pretty dang big right now.  Biscuit looks good - not fat - not thin.

I got Biscuit out of his pasture and took him up to the barn.  It was so windy today.  I had thought about riding but changed my mind.  The tarps were flapping like crazy on the fence but Biscuit is used to those so he ignored them.  I was getting out my rasp, the stool and hoof stand when the little pans on top of the grooming box went flying - right into Biscuit's backside.  He startled a bit but that was it.  He didn't act like a fool.  I used those grooming gloves and cleaned him up after washing his legs off.  He is still shedding but didn't seem to be as much as before.  His legs are pretty hairy!!  Under his jaw had long hair but he looks nice.  I got the rasp out and rasped all 4 of his hooves.  I am going to do Red's Friday.

I got alfalfa for Mikey and Red.  Mikey is Lee-Ann Potter's little Halflinger.  He would come trotting across the pasture nickering to me when he was across from Biscuit.  He was glad to get a bite of alfalfa.  Poor old baby just gums it.  He doesn't have many teeth.  He is in his late 20's.  Beautiful little guy.  I am pretty fond of him.

I took Biscuit down to his pasture and cut of the remaining apple for him.  I checked his hay level.  I then went down to Red's pasture.

I have to walk down the row that is muddy as all get out to get to him.  All around his gate is fetlock deep in mud.  He was by his shelter and when I got near the gate he started out at a walk..then a trot for a few steps and then a canter all the way to the gate...mud be damned!  He always loved his alfalfa and I am glad that he will bond with me again.  Friday will be the day I will groom him if I it is not raining.  He is good about his feet so I am going to rasp his feet.  I can't afford to have them done so I will have to stick to a schedule of rasping every week or so.  It is hard for me to keep up with two horses but I will have to give it my all as I don't have the $$ to pay for that every 6 weeks when I have the tools and know-how to do it myself.

Biscuit was really good today with his feet thank God because he sometimes is a toot about it.  Hoping I can ride Friday...that would be a bonus!!!

No comments: