Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Hard Winter

We have had a hard winter in southeast Texas.  Cold freezing rain and some snow!  Woot!!!

Red is doing great.  I have left him where he is as he has access to a full round bale.  Biscuit can't have round bales - it is bad for his COPD and I don't want to aggravate that!!!  He does fine until the really hot time of the year but COPD is COPD.

On January 31, 7 weeks and 2 days after my surgery I went out and got on my horse!!!  Wooooooot!!!!  I groomed him and put his saddle on.  I took his halter off like always and off he went - saddle and all.  Thank God The LeeAnn's and Chelsie helped contain him and I was able to get my reins around his neck and walk him into the arena.  I got the 3 step mounting block and LeAnn Brown held him,  Chelsie video'd and took pictures and Lee-Ann Potter was the cheerleader.

I put that foot in the stirrup (not very high off of a 3 step mounting block!) and swung my leg up and over that cantle!!!  YAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYYAYYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAAAAAAAA!  I was on.  We just walked around the arena about 5 times or so.  Not long.  I was able to dismount and that leg went right over that cantle.  Yay!!











  

Red looks better than ever thank God.  No longer thin and the Equiderma Lotion was a miracle worker.  He has spent this winter in a pasture by himself with just a wire fence separating him from Sydabo and Torique.  He has feasted on his own round bale (just Bahaia - not Tifton!  No more colic-ing for my boy!) and had extra feed.

Last week I pulled Red up to have his feet done.  OMG he was full of piss and vinegar.  He double barrel kicked at Sister and got corrected big time.  I tied him in the arena and went and got Biscuit.  Tied them near each other and Red was acting like a jackass.  I put him on the walker and he was semi acting like a goober. Miss Jean thought he was trying to lay down so I took him off the walker.  He was pawing and in general acting like a turd.  I separated him and Biscuit and brushed both of them and cleaned their hooves.  Craig did their feet and I called Barry to help take Red back down to his pasture.  I put him in one side of the arena and I took Biscuit down to his pasture.  I came back with my lunge whip and had Red going round and round in the small arena.  He did ok.  Could have done better.  Just full of piss and vinegar.  I paid their board and told Linda no more supplement for them.  Red needs to be handled more so as soon as this leg is better I will work with him more.



I groomed and rode Biscuit yesterday for just a few rounds around the arena.  I was able to dismount like a normal person.  Leg over cantle and all the way to the ground and then the left leg out of the stirrup.  Yay for me.  Hoping I can ride again this week for just a bit.














No comments: