Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hood ornaments, my horse is smarter than me and other stories

I had a riding lesson planned for Friday at 7:00 AM but cakes with Betty and work got in the way.   Saturday I had to work and was in a coma from staying up helping Betty get her cakes done! 

Sunday morning I got up and decided I was going riding at Tyrrell Park.  I got my water bottles for Red ready, put the step stool in my Rav and went to get the trailer...backed up right to it PERFECTLY.  Due to unlevel ground I couldn't get it on the ball!  I tried to pull it forward but the tongue dropped on the ground...aughghghghgghghgh I wanted to drop KICK my husband for a field goal.   I NEED a flat surface to set my trailer on so I can go!! 

I went out to the barn and got Red out.  I groomed him and sprayed him with water so he'd be cool.  Saddled up and away we went.  Red was an absolute doll today.  We cantered in the arena several times.  He cantered literally from a stop...about 2 strides and hit a canter...woot!!  Cantered clockwise too.    I gave him a good scrubby bath and let him graze in the shade while he dried off.  I took him back to his stall and his food bucket was over the door.  I put it up high on the side rails so I could get him in the door.  I tried to take him outside but he wasn't interested in going out.  I took his halter off and he went for the way up high feed bucket.  I told him to leave it alone as there was no feed in it.  He kept after it and I said "you're going to knock it down and hurt yourself...there isn't any feed in it!"  I took it down...and yeah...duh...his lunch was in it.  It is bad when your horse is smarter than you are.

Hood Ornament
Barry and I went back out to the barn around 6:00 PM.  I got Red out and he brought Sarge up.  I tacked Red up and brushed Sarge's mane and tail out.  Barry got the whip to lunge Sarge and I went into the arena - I put Rogue in the washrack.  I was trotting around thinking all the commotion with Barry cracking the whip and Sarge working in the next arena would be good "desensitizing" for Red.  I was jogging him near the center rail, Sarge was coming up on the other side the same way but behind Red and Barry cracked the whip HARD and LOUD!  OMG  my horse REALLY bucked and kicked out with his back right leg.  Next thing I knew I was a HOOD ORNAMENT.  I came up OVER the poley's and was up on Red's neck...like my face is by his ears...I am listing hard to the right side.  I am struggling to keep from falling in the dirt and get back over the poleys and into my seat.  Red stopped pretty quick and I was able to get back in the saddle without killing myself.  I asked him if he'd lost his mind!!!  He was a good boy though...he stopped and stayed still so I could regain my seat.  I surprised myself!  I wasn't scared or shaken up.  Barry later took Sarge back to his paddock and I cantered Red round and round so I wouldn't be afraid!

No comments: