Monday, December 14, 2009

Picked up the Saddle and riding a Steele




Christy and I picked up the saddle and had a good time visiting. I like the saddle and am excited about it. The next day I worked in Woodville and had lunch while there, with Archie and Margaret. Archie thought I got hosed - he doesn't know anything about Steele Saddles. Margaret thought it was very nice leather and well made.

I sent pictures to Fred at Steele Saddles. They are very nice to work with and generous with their knowledge. He thought the saddle fit well and was placed correctly on Red's back.

I got on it in the arena and it SLIDES around on Red getting on. The cantle is extremely high - higher than my Billy Cook. It will take getting used to.

Sunday Barry and I went out to ride. I went out originally to ride with Lee Anne and Krystina but I was too late. I cleaned the poop out of the trailer while I was there and called Barry to come out and ride. I went down and got the boys. Sarge was easier to catch than Red. He was being a little pill. Walks like he is 9000 years old going up to the barn. I was grooming him and he turned like he was going to nip me. I have never really thought Red was going to nip me but yesterday I did....he got a bop on the nose. I was grooming his sides and he turned around with a sour look and I bopped his side and said "straighten up". What a crab and he is usually not crabby. I took him into the arena and lounged him. He loped around on both sides and trotted. I guess he had the grimmly grimmlies.

I changed the neoprene girth for a cotton girth. It was hard cinching this rascal up to be tight enough! Finally got it tight enough to get on - and it was still loose!!! I rode in the arena and Red was moving slowly. If I pulled back slightly he STOPPED dead in his tracks. His tail switched some.

We rode out to the back and Red generally loves to go out there and is very forward. Not today. He didn't hardly want to trot and his tail was switching - not a ton but switching. Sarge was a hoot today. The cows were close to the fence and his head was up, he was excited! He had his eyes on the cows. One was next to the fence and he jumped into a cow stance and it was hilarious. Red walked right up to a cow but Sarge wasn't getting that close!!! We came down the side next to the refinery and Red spooked hard - in place. He is such a good boy. I had to hug his neck.

We rode around the entire parameter of the ranch after doing the half left side so we rode the ranch 1.5 times. I enjoyed it...we trotted and worked on neck reining. I think I can trail Red for endurance out there when I get saddle issues settled. I would say it is at least a mile or more around the back of the ranch. I will have to ask Lee Anne P. or Edgar if they know and if not, get Edger to track it for me. I could make figure 8's out there and do 5 or 6 loops around the ranch. Hummmmmmm....that could work to start.

I enjoyed my ride and Barry took the boys back down to the paddock while I put stuff away. We took them another bail of hay. I had gave them a bail of hay Thursday that Ronnie brought to me. They scarfed though that ball of Tifton and it was GONE. They have had at least 3 bales of hay this week - two from the ranch and one from Ronnie and Margaret. Hummm maybe it was 4. I want my boys to gain weight this winter and Red looks like he is. He needs it!


No comments: