Monday, January 6, 2014

Ringing in the New Year

I went out to the barn just about everyday this past week giving the horses treats.  They are being such good boys.   I went out late in the afternoon on New Years Day with carrots for them.  They come right into their little corral - no treats unless they are in the corral.

Saturday Kellie and K.d. and I went for a ride.  I went out to the ranch and picked Biscuit up and got to use the back up camera.  Works like a charm.  I took Biscuit and Sarge a little bit of feed and haltered Biscuit.  I tied him to the trailer while I hooked it up and then loaded him and off we went.

He was a little bit dirty so I brushed him off and then tacked him up.  When I was through tacking him up I walked him over to the KILLER BRICK PILE and let him see it.  We mounted up - K.d. held Biscuit so I could get on.  My legs are weak and it is hard to climb up the mounting block without leaning on the saddle.  It is kinda awkward mounting up.  I so hope my legs improve this year.

We went around the park and some nice folks held the turnstile so we could get in.  We headed towards the big bridge with the horses moving like they were in a coma.  We got almost to the bridge and Biscuit kinda bobbled and felt like he spooked and he came to a dead stop.  At his feet was my little pink phone!  K.d. was kind enough to get off and get it for me.  Wow!  I stuck it in one of my water bottle holders.  We crossed the bridge and at the first right of way was a tractor.  Kellie walked Elan down that way and we all stood there for a few minutes and then continued on and went across the little land bridge.

This is the little snake just over the land bridge.  Ugh.  I thought it was just black garbage.  Ugh.

We went around the hairpin turn and Biscuit stopped and was looking - it was little hogs and they took off into the woods.  We continued on all the way down to the back.  We did very little trotting up until then.  The horses were moving slower than molasses.  We did a little more trotting though across the bayou side.  We cantered up one of the little hills and around a corner and even though I didn't see it, Elan kicked up at Aladin.  Kellie stopped him and was turning him in circles - giving him a blessing out the entire time.

We got to the little side trail and half way across it Elan kicked into a canter - Aladin followed throwing in two bucks at the same time.  Biscuit got into the fray and took two huge galloping strides as I was trying to pull him into a slower pace.  LOL  I think he though it was on like Donkey Kong!

We actually ate lunch at Hildebrandt Bayou.  I should have brought a spoon...gumbo out of the Thermos doesn't work very well without a spoon.  Kellie had brought banana bread for all of us.  It was very good!

We started off again.  We got up to the little land bridge and I could see a bicycle up there.  Two men were down by the culverts and popped up.  One spoke to us about the horses and he was a bit fluffy.  The other was in camo clothes and it was a little strange for 2 men on one bicycle way back there.  stay out of the park strange people!

We went down the first right of way again and crossed the flooded area.  We were going to ride up to the front.  Lots of mud - had to cross some ditches - Biscuit jumped it like I knew he would.  He was a good sport about it - he is not too fond of mud but at least he wasn't spazzing out.  Way way way too muddy and nasty but we made it all the way to the front and went around the little gate and across the bridge.  We went back into the park and through the watery entrance into the woods.  We turned left.  OMG loads of mud.  After the right of ways it was drier but it is very wet/deep close up to the front of the park.  It will be June before it is dry enough to ride in there without slopping through mud.  Biscuit was a good sport about it but he was filthy.

I washed him off because he was a mess.  Cleaned his hooves and passed out treats.  He was sharing hay with Elan.  Elan gave him the ugly face and I fussed at him.  LOL  Elan is so funny.  He wasn't happy about getting fussed at but he listens.  

We had a wonderful ride for the first time of the year.  I didn't have my Garmin but I believe it was about a 8 mile ride to possibly a little more than that but we will stick to 8 miles.  It was a harder 8 miles though because of going through all of that mud.  

We had a great time - it is always so much fun to go with Kellie and K.d.  Ready to go again.  We were going to try to go Sunday but the weather was not conducive to riding.  Maybe next week.  

I did go out and give the horses treats this evening.  They are such good boys. 

No comments: