Sunday, January 26, 2014

Solo Ride with The Biscuit

Kellie and I were going riding today but she wasn't feeling well.  I was already dressed and ready to go so off I went.  

Biscuit was laying down in the sun out by the water trough but he got up and ambled over to the corral.  I gave him and Sarge a treat and closed the gate.  I haltered him and tied him to the trailer.  I hooked up the trailer and off we went to Tyrrell Park.  I did talk to Kellie to see how she was doing - sore throat and generally feeling bad.  Dang...hate that for her.

I got to the park and unloaded Biscuit.  My customer showed up to pay me for a cake coming up and they gave Biscuit some treats which he always appreciates.  I brushed him and tacked him up.  No hoof boots as we weren't going out on Cattail Marsh.

I turned his head to the trailer and mounted up the step.  Dang it.  He moved.  I moved him to where his his head was near the wheel and moved the steps.  I mounted up with no problem.  Woot.  I walked over to the woods and couldn't get Biscuit to walk through the water.  Sigh.  I remembered I left my keys in the trailer so I went back and leaned down and took them out of the trailer door.  We went across to the road - OMG he kept stopping - had to move around to the left because of the water - he was looking for Elan...ugh.  Took forever to get around to the trail opening and we went in that way.  Trail was dry in many places and then wet in some.  We went around past the Cattail little trail and then it got pretty dang wet.  Biscuit wasn't too happy and stopped right in the middle of a puddle, well, it was like The River Runs Through It right there.  OMG it took me 18 minutes to get him to move.  Wow.  I was kicking him....popping him with the crop.  Not hard - I would never mistreat Biscuit but dang - that fellow has got a hard head and is stubborn as all get out!!!

We finally moved - turned back - I think Biscuit was sure amoebas were in the water and were going to eat his feet off.  OMG he really dislikes going through mud.  We went down the little trail and it was dry in spots and then wet.  We went out to the road and walked around to the stable.  I dismounted at 1.4 miles.

I washed off his legs and belly.  I sprayed his tail good to get the mud out of it.  I cleaned his hooves.  He was a good boy and very laid back and calm today as he generally is.

We headed back to the barn and I unloaded him at the barn and tied him up.  I unhooked the trailer and jacked it up as high as I could get it.  I rinsed out the poop and went over to hug up the Biscuit.  He is wide as he can be across the back.  I buried my face in his coat and just enjoyed being with him.  Then I  loaded Biscuit back up.  Dang...what an idiot I forgot to hook it back up.  Ok...unload the Biscuit and had to hook it back up.  Had a bit of trouble but finally got it to hook back on the hitch.  I loaded Biscuit back up.  I am sure he thought I had lost my mind with all the loading and unloading!  I took him back to his paddock and turned him out.  He dropped and rolled and shook himself off.
Muddy Biscuit

Oh yeah...I got a watch to ride with!  Purple of course!  Thanks Honey Darling Precious!

Add caption

This is where he stood for 18 minutes!

No comments: