Monday, January 18, 2010

My first ride in my Aussie Saddle


Barry and I went this afternoon to ride.  We tacked up and Barry had to help me pull the saddle girth up.  I took Red into the arena and was able to mount and not have the saddle roll - I didn't even need Barry to help me.  I like this saddle!!!  It is extremely comfortable.  I trotted Red around in the arena and we stayed in there for a little while and then went out to the back of the ranch. 

I was watching for signs of discomfort in Red.  He wasn't moving fast but he was moving well.  When we got to the end of the pastures Barry started a slow lope and I followed.  Red is pretty choppy but I enjoyed it.  We went to the left and I trotted all down the fence area.  Red seemed to be breathing a little hard - but he hasn't been ridden in quiet a while of any consequence.  We walked down the tree line where he usually spooks but no spook this time!  Lots of water standing around.  We went to walk over that little "fence" that is set up for training and he refused.  I kept insisting he go and he wanted to go around!  Barry took Sarge over it and Red finally went - pretty clumsily though.

When we came back to the area of the pastures it was pretty rutted with the tractor and it seemed Red walked over bricks covered up with the mud.  We trotted down the road next to the pastures, crossed the ranch road and down the side of Mr. Hebert's property.  Red a couple of times felt a little disjointed in the backside like when he went over the "brick" area.

We came to the corner and went to the left down towards the back of the property.  It was MUDDY.  A few time sit felt like Red was doing something strange with his backside and I asked Barry if he was limping on his back feet.  Barry said, no, just sinking in the mud.  I don't think either of the boys liked the mud.  We came to the back of the ranch and went left.  Red and I trotted down the fence.  It was a beautiful day.

I filmed Sarge prancing around.  We went down the road back to the barn.  I got off of Red and the saddle didn't slip but it was loose from riding and I believe it slipped way back. 

I took his tack off and started cleaning his hooves.  He pulled his back right hoof out of my hand and I popped his butt and cleaned it anyway.  I thought there might be a rock or something in it.  I put his hoof down and noticed "ulcer" type marks on this coronet bands.  ACCCKKKK.  I put Furazone on his hooves and took pictures.  I asked Margaret and Ronnie about it and noted that there wasn't heat, pus, or blood.  Hummmm...I don't know what it is.

Alfalfa made them pretty darn happy and we came home.



No comments: