Sunday, February 13, 2011

Biscuit can canter slow


Biscuit Can Canter


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Texas
Barry fixed my trailer yesterday!  He added the lock that Brenderup sent to me.  I had to go to Setzer's for some nuts...they weren't included as they were supposed to.  He got it put on and it WORKS.  Fabulous.  It won't be popping open anymore.

We went riding today and what a great time we had.  Barry and I hauled out to the barn and pulled up the boys to the barn.  We unloaded them at the barn and I lunged Biscuit.  He did a good job but didn't seem too interested in going very fast!  I brushed him and cleaned his hooves.  He picked them up easily for me.  Score!!!  He got ONE treat for all four feet.

I saddled him at the barn, flipped up the stirrups over the seat and loaded him up.  We ate our sandwiches on the ride over to the park so we were good to go.  I put Biscuit's bridle on when we got there and mounted using my steps.  Kellie had her new saddle and she loves it.  Pretty much the same as the other except it has a rounded skirt.  Looks nice on Elan! Lee Anne B., Susan and Robin joined us today.

We went around the road and out to Cattail Marsh.  We went down the old gravel road.  There were a couple of feather down piles where something had got a duck.  Biscuit passed up two but had to stop at the third and smell it.  LOL  he is so funny. 

We went down Willow Bayou and I told Kellie  to try to see if Elan would go over the Yellow Brick Road.  Biscuit went with no problem.  I took a picture of Sarge on the Yellow Brick Road.  He looked fantastic today in his new bridle and bit.  Gorgeous boy!

We went back the other way and over the big bridge.  We stopped and cleaned hooves.  We mounted up and took off.  Rogue was giving Lee Ann a few fits today.  I think he just feels good after feeling so bad for so long.  He is getting very strong with her and spooking but she holds her seat like velcro!!!  She is my hero...my butt would be on the ground!

We went down and around the canal and there was a buzzard on the ground hopping around.  He hopped into the water in a little slew when we went by.  Poor thing...I think he is buzzard food.

We continued on down towards the bayou.  Everyone but Sue was in front of me and I was trotting fast and Biscuit popped into a canter!  A REAL canter - not a gallop!  When I got up to Kellie and Randy, they were facing me, and I pulled the reins to slow him and he slowed WITHOUT throwing up his head!  OMG I was SO proud of him.  I told Kellie he felt like he crowhopped with the first canter but she said she thought it was just him changing leads.  Woot!!!!!!!!  My boy had his head down, cantered slow, smooth and easy.  Good boy!!!

We went all the way to the bayou and Barry and Sarge went down the side where the trail goes that is blocked.  Hopefully we can get that cleared and the ride will be around 10 miles.

On the way back Biscuit was wanting to GO.  I was pulling the reins gently on one side and then the other so he was very controllable.  On the gravel road back he was moving slowly and deliberately.  We went through the right side of the park back to the trailers.

Biscuit was a sweaty, dirty mess.  I brushed and brushed him and it helped some.  He is DIRTY and needs a really good bath.  His mane is nasty.  I picked up his hooves easily and cleaned them.  He does have a little crack in one of his hooves so he is going to have a nice little manicure tomorrow. 

We loaded them up and hauled back to the barn.  I can't wait for our trip to Ebenezer.  It is going to be a blast.  I found my trip on the phone but my phone doesn't track as true as my Garmin.  I love my Garmin!!!



No comments: