Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tyrrell Park Mud Ride

Around the levee we go

EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking near Beaumont, Texas














What a ride we had today.  I got out to the barn and we hauled the boys up to the front.  I brushed Biscuit and cleaned his hooves.  Then I took him into the arena to lunge him.  He did a good job.  He even cantered. Good boy.  We loaded them up and headed for the park.  We got out to the park and I saddle up Biscuit and had to make some adjustments for him.  Finally - we are up and gone.  It was Barry, Lee Anne B, Kellie, Susan and me.  We go over to where the bathrooms are - Kellie was going to use the facillities....they were locked.  Barry CLIMBED the GATE DOOR.  OMG I told him if he got hurt I was going to send him to live with his sister that doesn't cook.  Sue said that was harsh!

We went out the Cattail Marsh gate and went to the left.  We went around the levee in mud - Biscuit doesn't like mud and actually wanted up on the road!!  We got around the side and Rogue started acting up.  He went a little down the embankment and Lee Anne got him under control.  He wanted to GO!  We went around to the back of the retaining ponds and around the entire back of the the marsh.  It was MUDDY MUDDY MUDDY and Biscuit was slogging through and wasn't a real happy camper about it.  Lee Anne had her hands full with Rogue...he reared up  just a little and threw in a little buck too boot!  He powered up  embankments - He was a handful!  We kept going until we reached the Yellow Brick Road Bridge.  We went to the left of it and around the bayou like Barry had scouted for us.  It is a nice ride back there.  We did see some hog poop.  We went all the way down to a point and came back up the side of the bayou.  All the way down again not far from the way we came.  Biscuit seemed to be spazzing out with the mud.  He was really having a hard time.  Twice during the ride he nipped Sarge on the butt.  We were between Kellie and Randy and he felt like he was going to bust a gut.  He reached over and bit Kellie on the leg.  OMG I nearly died.  I popped him and fussed at him.  Thank God he didn't chomp down on her.  I was stunned.  He was still spazzing out and I asked everyone to stop so he could rest.  He seemed to be really cranked up.  Of course, I am a cow he is dragging around through deep mud poor guy.  I stopped so he could collect himself together.  I think he was having a melt down.  We went on and later stopped to clean hooves.  OMG the gumbo was full of rocks but he was good about his feet...just had a few issues but considering how far we have come he is doing great.

I was going to mount up and back up to a incline.  I went to step back and my boots hit the incline and I fell on my butt...well, sat on it as it was an incline.  I mounted up and aways we went.  We went down the center of the park on the roads back up to Cattail Marsh.  We rode a little over 7 miles and it was hard going for them.  They were all soaking wet with sweat.  We loaded them up and off we went.  I rode back with Lee Anne and then hopped in our truck to go to the back.

Both the boys dropped and rolled - Biscuit is gaining weight like crazy.  I think he had a hard time hauling me and his new fluffiness...but if he bites anything EVER again I will get off and beat his butt.  I won't tolerate that EVER.

No comments: