Sunday, February 27, 2011

Darolyn Butler's Barefoot Trimming Clinic

Monday I got out to the barn early and pulled up Biscuit.  I put him on the wash rack.  Kellie, Susan, LeeAnne B, LeeAnne P., and Miss Jean were taking the class.  Regan came for a short while - Mr. Gus popped in too.

Darolyn told us how and why she got into barefoot trimming - we have all been reading books on it.  We finally got down to business.  She first trimmed Elan.  His feet are doing so much better since he has had his shoes off.  She did Torique and poor guy, his feet are so tender I felt sorry for him.  He was better after she trimmed him.

She then got on Crimson Dancer.  OMG I didn't know she had foundered 2 years ago after they bred her.  She didn't take.  Her feet looked like melted icecream cones.  She was so crippled she could barely stand in the barn.  Miss Jean has spent a fortune having her shoed and treated to no avail.  Darolyn started trimming her hooves, we could see bruises and abscesses under the shoe pads.  Poor thing!!!  When Darolyn got through with one hoof she was smacking her lips and chewing - she felt so much better!  When she got through with her other foot Dancer could actually WALK.  I have never seen anything like that.  Later she was trotting around in the little arena.  They had to stop her!!

Crimson Dancer before her trim

Crimson Dancer after her trim

Elan's Feet

Darolyn said this was an abscess in his hoof that will grow out

I am helping trim Biscuit's hoof!!!
We worked on Dulcie and she said Dulcie had a false sole so we got a look at that.  We got to Biscuit and he was kinda cranky about her doing his feet.  He is not used to other people fooling with him but he wasn't awful.  She said the hole in his foot looks like an abscess not a white line issue.  She gave his feet an A!!!  I was out at the barn from 8:30 to 6:30.  We had lunch with Miss Jean - she had a sandwich tray and I made Cherries Jubilee.  Lee Ann B made a cheesecake soppapia that was amazing!

We learned so much today on the bars, the frogs, the soles, the walls of the feet.  I know I can do this.  I ordered rasps, a knife and a sharpener, got gloves and now I really need a rolling stool.

Darolyn did Biscuit's front feet.  I will do his back feet next week.  We are going to soak feet, rasp and trim and keep them in good shape. Biscuit's frogs are getting better!  Woot!

No comments: