Friday, February 18, 2011

Thrush Meds in Biscuit's Foot

I went out to the barn this afternoon and took Biscuit out of the pasture.  He had a gash on the point of his left hip.  LeeAnn P.  later told me she saw Sarge take a chunk out of Biscuit when Biscuit reared up (I think that is right!) and bit him.  Sarge put him in his place in 2 seconds. Sarge NEVER has a mark on him and Biscuit looks like a war zone.  Biscuit was all excited when LeeAnn took Legato down the road.  Biscuit is very fond of Legato and she thinks he is a hottie in return.  Must be the white manes!  Anywhoo...they ride well together and he gets excited when he sees her.  That is hilarious.  She gives Sarge the evil eye on a regular basis but she is a sweetie to Biscuit. 

I took Biscuit up to the front and cleaned his hooves.  He did a good job of staying still.  Not perfect - he did get one pop on the leg but he was pretty good.  I put some of the medicine mixture in his hooves and rubbed it into the creases of his frogs.  I dug out the notch in his back hoof.  I am going to need something to dig the cotton out with better.  I rolled the cotton in the meds and stuffed it in the hole. 

I then washed his legs which he didn't like too much.  The water was cold!!!  I scrubbed his tail (just from below the bone) and his hocks.  The soap from his tail was DIRTY as it could be.  I rinsed it and brushed it out.  His mane is filthy and I would love to be able to give him a good bath. 

I gave him a handful of alfalfa as a treat.  I walked him down the road and was letting him eat some of the new green grass.  LeeAnn B came down there and we chatted about Monday's class with Darolyn.  We are all excited.  I later talked to LeeAnn P. and I got my gloves to the class.

No comments: