Monday, October 18, 2010

Riding a Goose

I joined Barry up at Ebenezer this weekend.  I didn't make the morning ride as I had to work.  Barry went up ahead of me.  There was an accident at the lake and a girl was dragged out of the lake when her horse rolled and had a fit and she came off.  Shirt was over the horn and was caught.  She was barefoot skiing across the water trying to unhook herself.  When the horse hit the bank she came off and was knocked unconscious.  Kellie tried to assist and her companion screamed for her to leave her alone.  Wow.....geez, I hope if I am ever knocked unconscious a ER nurse is there to help me. 

I got there and we visited and Kellie and I took a stroll and talked to some folks about their Rockies.  A lady from Houston was there and had a gorgeous Rocky mare.  OMG she was a stunning chocolate silver dilute...she looked like a grown up Sugar Baby.  (our old Shetland Pony) 

The two ladies I met at the Sea Horse Haven over by Huntsville took my advice and came out to Ebenezer and rode with us!  We really liked them.  They also said that Pundt is in the city limits so no hunting EVER!!!  Woot!  I will be riding there during hunting season!  It is no farther than Ebenezer - just no place to spend the night unless we park at Darolyn's and keep the horses there.  

We got ready for our ride and I rode "Goose" that belongs to Kenny.  He didn't want to stand still so I was a little cautious.  We started out with James Miguez leading and he is a good trail boss!   We went down the front trail and it was a fantastic ride.  I rode with Randy a bunch and with Kellie too.  I also spent quiet a bit of the trail with Kent.  He was trying a new horse too!  Goose did a good job.  He will move out and he minds well.  I enjoyed riding him.  We rode for about 2 hours or more.  I rode in my black Aussie but I was concerned it was riding way too low on him and I certainly don't won't to injure someone elses horse.

We all joined in the fun at Kellie's camp - visiting and laughing.  They gave me a hard time about licking Red to see if he was sweating but I didn't care!  LOL They are so funny!!!

It got cold and I didn't bring a top blanket!  We certainly didn't need the AC which was nice.  We had breakfast sitting with Kellie and Randy.  What a nice way to start the day.

Kenny was such a darling and saddled Goose in a western saddle for me.  I traded the stirrups for my Crooked Stirrups as my knees are STILL bothering me from a month ago when I rode Butterbean.  Goose didn't want to stand still when I was changing the stirrups.  I will have to work on his ground manners.  He just isn't fooled with much.  He didn't want me to pick up his feet.  I will have to work on that too.  He is 6 years old, AQHA with Skipper W bloodlines.  Little tiny fox ears that are cute as can be...black skin on a palomino which is good!  Pretty little blaze and a beautiful flaxen mane and tail. 

We went off on another trail ride and he did a good job.  I said if I keep him his name will be Pac.  Pac because he will pack me around and it is really for "piece a cake" as he was a piece a cake to ride.  We went up Eagles Nest Hill from the road.  I zig zagged him up and he did a great job.  Not hurrying or being a pill about it.  Same with coming down.  He did speed up a little but he listened to me and did as I asked.  We went up and down all of the ravines and hills and he did a great job.  I wasn't the least bit nervous on him.  I enjoyed the ride.  We went into the lake and thank God he didn't EVEN think about rolling.  He is the horse that dropped with Esther last May that was so funny!!!

Coming back up the hill leaving the lake is a hollow and I asked for a canter and got a flat out gallop.  Woot.  I asked him easy easy easy and pulled him up.  He tossed his head up high and I saw his rein flop over his nose but he slowed down when I asked.  I guess he was wanting to catch up to the other horses but I will also have to work on "go into a canter not a gallop".  Other than than he was a good boy.

Kenny is going to get his shots hopefully Monday afternoon.  I will go pay up at the barn to keep him there until I decide to buy him or not.  He is looking like a very good prospect.  We got back to the park and we were going to try to get him into the Brenderup.  He wouldn't load for Barry but Kenny walked him right up the ramp and into the trailer.  Wow wee - it is a sign from God.  Kenny unloaded and reloaded him 3 or 4 times and he just trotted up there and stood there.  He is a workable horse for me.  I did hug him and he was a little flustered by that.  He does love Animal Crackers which is hilarious.  I fed him 3 or 4 cookies and he gobbled them up.  Kenny had a huge Sam's type tub of Animal Crackers.

We cleaned up the camp site and I had a tuna fish sandwich with Kellie, Randy, Barry and Esther.   Kellie makes killer tuna fish.  Yum! 

We are going to go riding at Pundt Park Saturday or Sunday.  I am looking forward to that.  We loaded Sarge up and said goodbye to everyone.  We had a great time but I was tired!!!!  It was a good tired though. 

No comments: