Monday, October 25, 2010

A Tale of a Palomino Horse

Kenny took "Goose" to Dr. Schnieder's for his Coggins and shots.  Barry and I went to his house Tuesday and were unsuccessful in loading the golden boy.  He loaded up and got scared of the butt bar and out he came.  Rope snapped around Barry's fingers and hyper extended them.  LOL  Back "Goose" went to the stall and we visited with Randy and Kellie. 

Friday I went out to play with "Goose" and was going to walk him to Kellie's so they could haul him to Houston for our ride at the airport.  We let him walk up and walk down but we didn't force him.  I was about to walk him to Kellie's when Randy showed up.  He said "get hay" "get Animal Crackers".  We took the center bar out and he walked "Goose" up and down letting him back up if he wanted.  We worked with him for one hour and he decided he liked the Brenderup - there was hay and Animal Crackers in there.  I hauled him to Kellie's and he came out so sweetly.  Randy and I gave him a short bath as he was disgustingly dirty.

On Saturday we all met at Petro's in Beaumont and hauled down 1960 to Houston's international airport.  We unloaded the horses and visited and had lunch while waiting for the Houston Ranger ladies.  We signed papers etc.

The horses were totally undisturbed by the huge airplanes landing not 150 yards away.  We circled a plane that was the Houston Swat Teams training plane.  The horses acted like it was a barn or something like that.  We rode down a grassy plain parallel to the runway.  "Goose" did a good job for the most part.   He wants to go to fast in a trot SOMETIMES and once didn't want to stop.  I had to insist, but he wasn't cranky about it.  This is a matter of us getting to know each other.    A few times he wanted to take off but wasn't cranky when I said no.  We did trot a long way down 1960 - he doesn't come close to trotting a straight line!  We will work on that. 

He loaded up easily to come home.  I think Barry was surprised.  He hauled quietly.  I put him in the arena and he came trotting quickly when I came with a food bucket.  He is highly motivated by food!  We gave him a pile of hay and Sarge some too.



I went out to the barn Sunday to play with him.  I gave him a good bath.  He wasn't spooky.  I even did his face and trimmed his whiskers with the clippers.  I loaded him...he unloaded himself twice...til food was involved.  Loaded and hauled him to the house and back to the barn.  No problems. 

No comments: