Thursday, October 14, 2010

Picking up Miss Shilow

Barry and I left for Lafayette Tuesday evening.  We had a wonderful dinner at Prejean's!  OMG the gumbo was delicious.  The little Cajun band was entertaining and we had a good time.  We stayed at an older LaQuinta and on Wednesday morning there was a huge tour bus there.  The dining room was full of French speaking people - they were from France and were touring the US.  We visited with one nice lady who spoke some English - she had a Quarter Horse at home...can't remember what the French call them but I showed her my Brenderup.  Very nice lady!

Off we went to Cathy's.  Miss Shilow was cantering in the little pasture and seemed to be moving well.  We signed papers and tried to load her in the Brenderup.  It wasn't working.  We tried for an hour.  Up she would go, turn quick and off the ramp.  She was dancing on that asphalt.  Finally we opted to bring home Cathy's trailer.  By then she was quiet excited and we had a time loading her in that one.  She was calm though - not crazy.

We got her in there and she was stomping and kicking to beat the band as we left but she had to stop to balance herself!  We got her to the barn and Craig Williams was there.  She was gimpy when she got out from the asphalt and kicking.

Lee Anne Potter asked about the ridges in her feet - Craig said it looked like she had had a bad fever at one time.  He checked for possible foundering and said he didn't see any evidence of that.  He checked her feet with hoof testers and her feet were very tender.  He said that her soles were very thin and that I would have to keep shoes on her and put hoof hardeners etc. 

Kellie and Randy came out to see her and by that time she was very gimpy.  I decided that she has to go back to Cathy.  I hate that because she is such a sweet horse and so beautiful too. 

I had a huge headache by the time I went home.  I have been sick since Thursday and now feel like the pressure in my head is way too much.  I miss my boy Red and want to hug his neck.  I am glad that Heather is giving him such a wonderful home but he was always such a sweetie to me and never minded how much I hugged him.  I miss seeing his face over the side of the wash rack when he thought alfalfa was on its way.  Sigh...I miss him. 

No comments: