Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Riding on the beach in Southeast Texas










Barry and I went out to the barn to get the horses to ride on the beach.  I talked to Lee Anne P. and she said the boys were getting along great.  No problems with them being together...they were eating out of the same bucket.  She said Pac stands there and eats the hay all day!!  Bless his heart.

Barry loaded up Sarge and we were near Amir and he was having a little melt down - as much a melt down as an old guy of nearly 30 can have!  I told Barry to pull up the trailer so that he wouldn't crank Pac out of shape getting into the trailer.   I had to hold him back!  LOL he was ready to get into the trailer and he self loaded.  Good boy!!!

We hauled out to High Island and turned to the left.  We went down a little way and Barry put the 4 wheel drive on.  When we turned in the sand it bogged down a little but 4 wheel drive just kept spinning and pulling.  We unloaded the horses and saddled them up.  I stood on a bucket to mount and off we went to the east.  We rode about 2 miles - the old road that was tore up during Hurricane Allen in 1980 was crumbling away and was near the water - I imagine high tide pulls it over the road.  In several places it was a good 2 foot thick! 


Pac walked into the water but the foam and bubbles kinda concerned him but he was just fine.  We trotted some and walked and walked across rocks and shells.  Tons of trash out there unfortunately.  We went though the McFaddin Wildlife Refuge!  LOL  That is Mr. Gus's family's gift to Texas!  Woot!
The wind was blowing so there were plenty of waves.  It was so peaceful.  It totally makes me Mellow Yellow....I think that could be a good name for my horse - Mello Yellow.  (Barry says no)   We walked through the asphalt criss crossing the road to the water and back again several times.  We walked in the water and he would stop and look at it.

On the way back I turned and patted his butt and he scooted up and kinda spooked.  Poor guy I scared him.  We rode for 2 hours.  I insisted on picking up his front feet and he wasn't happy but he allowed it.  I gave Pac a few treats and sneaked one to Sarge.  Barry caught me and said "don't give him treats!"  LOL it was just one.  I was putting stuff up and I thought Barry was loading Pac and I heard him come out of the trailer twice.  I said "wait and I'll come help" and went to the back of the trailer.  It was Sarge!  He came out twice.  LOL  What a silly boy.  Barry got him loaded and locked in and I lead Pac to the back and he walked right on in and stood still while I put the butt bar up.  He is a very good fellow.

We hauled back to the ranch and I took him out and put him up.  I fed him and he was pretty thrilled about that.  I found a picture of him probably in the fall of 2008.   I will try to get him back in good shape.  He needs to fill out his top line and his neck is very thin.

No comments: