Saturday, October 9, 2010

Looking for another horse

I went looking for another trail horse.  I looked at 7 horses.  The first one was pretty but seemed to have a serious stifle issue poor thing.  What a shame.  She was pretty and well behaved.  I liked a little mare so much but it paces...not a good thing for a gaited horse.  One's back feet turned out slightly and was a little more than I wanted to pay for a horse that I didn't think was perfect.  Another was well trained, quiet and very nice but covered with a scaly scabby skin...they said it was the nats and it probably was but I don't need that and he was too tall for me to get on.    I then tried another little mare and she was nice, sweet, cute, well behaved and well trained but I didn't think she was smooth.  She didn't say "take me home".  She was a gaited Morgan and very nice but just not for me.  Next two were very nice TW mares.  Pretty, well made, sweet but just way too much piss and vinegar for me.  She was also shod on all four feet. I got on the older mare and she was too much for me.  She wasn't bad...just too much for me.

So, what did I learn?

Take videos to see how they gait.  Pacing is bad.  I want a gelding primarily.  I want hooves as strong as steel without shoes!  I want one probably no taller than 15.1 so that I can mount them unassisted.  I want one that is very calm and laid back.  It may take a while to find my perfect horse but I am willing to wait.  I will miss riding with the group but I want a good horse and will wait til the right one comes along.

I went out and hugged Sarge up.  I want a horse as nice as Sarge...as smooth as Sarge...loving like Sarge and Red...and calm like Red. 

No comments: