Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Red has a big day!

Here is Red loaded up and ready to go
I got out to the stables to see Red and he was in his stall.  His blanket was off but his bucket was bone dry.  I thought perhaps he had not been fed yet.  Courtney came out of her apt. and said he had been fed.  I asked why he hadn't been watered - he was having a fit to get to the water and sucked up about a half a bucket, poor guy.  I guess his bucket got over looked.  He had ate and I guess scarfed up his hay and he was seriously thirsty.

I took him outside and put him in the wash rack.  The vet arrived and I got an education in horse maintenance.  Dr. Schnieder had this big ole contraption to hold his mouth in place while he floated his teeth, a bucket, and some seriously long files.

First he gave Red a sedative that really knocked him for a loop.  He just stood there with his head down.  Dr. Schnieder put the speculum (I think that is what it is called!!) in Red's mouth and set it to open his mouth.  He let me feel how pointed some of his little burrs were - ouch!  I can see where those could cause a problem.  He then started filing away at his teeth - wow - that looks like it could cause him to be sore as all get out but the vet said not really.   I held Red's head on my shoulder with my hand over his face to keep his head in the correct position.  I could see pieces of ground up teeth coming out.  Red leaned back against the metal of the washrack to brace himself.  When the vet was through I paid him and he and I talked about Barry's operation.  He said his sister had this surgery and came through with flying colors and was fine. 

He said to leave Red in his stall because he was unable to defend himself and give him hay.

After he left I slowly backed Red out - and I mean slowly.  He was pretty sedated.  He was barely moving his feet and was pretty unstable on them.  I put him back in his stall and gave him hay.

I left the barn and called Margaret about picking him up.  I mentioned the hay and she said he shouldn't have it because he could choke.  I turned my RAV around and went back and took the hay from Red.  Poor guy!

I went to Plum Nearly Ranch and introduced myself to Mrs. McFaddin and she has room at the Ranch for Red.  She knows Ronnie really well (as does ANYONE who has horses in SE Texas it seems) which is a good thing!  They do not advertise but do take in boarders that they feel will make a good fit.  I told her about Red and that I would like to bring him to PNR.  She introduced me to her barn manager, Lee Ann and asked her to show me around.  The barns are fabulous, there is a covered, lighted arena, wash racks, paddocks and pastures.  WOW WEE - Red would be in hog heaven.  

I will be moving him to PNR in the near future.  I want to take dressage lessons and learn to ride English!  

I went back to Tyrrell Park and Margaret was already there and had Red out!  LOL  I had to laugh at her.  She is taking his bridle to try out his new bit while she works with him.  I hugged him up a bunch and he didn't mind.  He was still a little rumdum from the sedative but he loaded right up.  He is such a good boy. 

I will call Margaret in the morning about him.  

I am now in Houston about to go to bed.  Barry's surgery is in 8 hours and 20 minutes.


No comments: