Friday, July 9, 2010

Riding Red my non sweating boy

I went out to the barn to check on Red today and he was dipping his muzzle in the water bowl - not drinking - just dunking his muzzle in to cool off I guess or because he likes to. He is funny - he can't resist an automatic water unit! I checked him all over for sweat and there wasn't any. I placed a call to Equiwinner and left a message. Sigh...I so wanted it to work.

Later in the evening Barry and I went out to the barn to ride. Red was very reluctant to leave the big barn - lol what a lazy boy! I soaked him down and the lady from Equiwinner called me. She would gladly refund my money or I could try again due to Red pulling them off. She said if it doesn't work it is usually sugar issues but Red is not overweight. She offered another round and if he doesn't sweat - $50 back. I can't ask for more. I told her that I was so hopeful that it would work and I was hoping that since he pulled them off several times (and who knows when he pulled them off and how long they were off)that maybe it didn't have the proper time to work. Can you tell I am hopeful? I want my boy to be ok. She is sending another packet out and we will see what happens.

I tacked him up and I led him over to the bench by Sadda's paddock and got on. Barry and I started out towards the back. Red was moving slow as Christmas. Margaret called when I was 1/2 way down the ranch road. I told her about the Equiwinner and I was going to restart it when I got back from my trip. She said "Bring him to me and I will take care of him while you are gone". She said she wanted to get her hands on him and ride! LOL It is good to have such a wonderful horsey sitter when you need one! I said "I'll bring his Les Vogt bit" and she said "Don't bring him without it!". I am going to load him up Wednesday and haul him to Jasper with his tack, food, alfalfa and some beer.

We got out to the open field and Red was moving slow - I cut across the left field to the trees Barry has been riding in. There are little trails in there! Way too many flies and mosquitoes for someone who had NOT sprayed citronella! Red was all excited and ready to go. I have found that there is something about trees that just thrills Red. He is very forward when he is around trees. I was having to hold him back and I just had his snaffle bit on him, not the Les Vogt. I told Barry we were going to work in the arena as the mesquitos were eating Red and me. We jogged almost all the way back...he stumbled a few times but was doing fine. We got into the arena and he side passed for we to open and shut both gates! I tried to get him to canter clockwise. We were trotting fast but he would never go into a canter going clockwise. We turned and went counter clockwise and he picks up the right lead and goes right into a canter. He did a good job and we went several rounds and he slowed and stopped. I kicked him into another canter and he again went round and round. We side passed, turned on the haunches, backed straight and did halts and Red did a great job.

I checked him for sweat - just the barest amount under his saddle and two drops of sweat around his rectum and that is it. AAAAUUUCCHCHCHCHCHCH I want him to sweat!

I rinsed and scraped, rinsed and scraped, rinsed and scraped. He was still hot. More rinsing and scraping. I noticed all of his veins in his neck bulging - that might be a good thing - blow them out and get him to sweat. It could happen. I rinsed him several times trying to get him cool. I scraped him and walked him to the big barn and tied him under the fans while I trotted off to get my boy some alfalfa. He was glad to see that! He was almost dry and I took him to his stall and the alfalfa was in front of his fan so he would finish drying fast. I hugged up my boy and left. Barry had blood on his jeans and we went out to make sure Sarge wasn't bleeding. I told Barry it was his blood but I had to show him it wasn't Sarge. Sarge is way too fat in my opinion. I think they need to cut back his feed or Barry needs to ride him more. He is a honcho!!

No comments: