Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cantering in the little arena

I had a lesson very early this morning!  I got out there before the staff did!  LOL  I fed Red 3 cups with his beer and he was happy to scarf it up.  I tacked him up and I couldn't tighten it as much as I would have liked to and it slipped a little and I got on so ungracefully but that is ok.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new saddle - no horn is nice and it is a little roomier.  Woot!!!

We started off with walking and jogging and I showed Esther how I got Red to take off with kissing hips!!!  LOL  She had me ride at a jog and circle with leg cues only on the corners.  We did transitions, turning on hind quarters and stops.  She asked if I felt like giving the canter a go so I was game.  It took a little bit to get Red to go into the canter but Esther was urging him on the ground and I was on his back and I DID IT!  LOL  I have cantered Red before lots of times but not in the little arena.  I leaned back like she asked and we went around about 3 times I think.  Wow wee it was good!!!  Esther has helped me so much and I appreciate it.  She said I was doing well and had good hand placement. 

I used to have really good hands and seat and am working really hard to get that back.  I gave Red a shower, put him back in his stall with the remainder of his breakfast and asked Edgar to give him another beer with his snack at lunch.  He didn't sweat today but didn't seem to be in distress at all.  I am going to go check on him this evening and give him alfalfa.

No comments: