Saturday, January 22, 2011

Yellow Brick Road in Tyrrell Park


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Texas
We were supposed to go riding in Kirbyville today.  We got up and got ready...got a text from Kellie that Randy thought it was too cold!  LOL  it was 23 or so in Kirbyville.  We decided to just stay home and ride Tyrrell Park at noon.

Barry and I went out at around 10:15 to the barn.  The boys were no trouble loading up.  Biscuit is such a sweetie.  Margaret had loaned me a saddle and I still had my Aussie with me.  I packed us a lunch and off we went.  We got to the park and ate our lunch.  I got Biscuit out of the Brenderup and started grooming him.  Kellie and Randy weren't there yet.  Sarge was busting a gut to go so Barry go on him and was loping him around.  Biscuit seemed a little excited  just a little and I thought I would try those relax techniques I read about in my trail magazine.  I started on his front right leg and wrapped my hands around it and found lumps on his inside leg up near his chest.  I could tell what it was so I got my glasses because I thought they were ticks....GAG...it was!  Poor guy had two ticks on him and two other lumps.  Don't know what they were.  I pulled the ticks off and killed them.  He also had two other little bumps near the ticks - poor guy.  I checked him over but I didn't find any ticks anywhere else.

Disgusting Ticks
I put Edward's saddle on him that Margaret loaned me - omg it was STIFF - I got off of that puppy.  My knees hurt just thinking about it.  I put my purple saddle blanket on Biscuit and the black Aussie.  Off we went though the woods and out by Willow Bayou.  Just before we got there it is wet and Biscuit was hurrying to catch up and get out of the mud and hit a lope for about 4 strides - wow wee...he never tried to go faster...didn't seem to be cranking up and slowed when I asked him.  He is adorable!

We went down the bayou to the big bridge and went left though the gates to try and find a passage to the other side of the bayou.  We walked down a ways and came to "The Yellow Brick Road Bridge".  It was a new bridge painted Safety Yellow and all metal - even the road bed.  Sarge was a little concerned when his hooves hit metal and backed up but Barry got him to go - picking those hooves up high as he went across.  I got off and walked Biscuit across.  He hesitated for awhile but he finally went and Reagan went too.  We crossed with no problems - Elan refused.  We all tried to get him to cross with no success.  We even walked down the bayou away from him so see if he would come with us.  We went past two hog traps!!!!!  It would be a great ride to go back there!!!  Elan refused.  Kellie whipped his butt to make him go but he said it wasn't happening.  We went  back across the Yellow Brick Road Bridge and we crossed over the big bridge and got off to clean hooves.  Biscuit was good about letting me clean his hooves.  We went over the land bridge and all the way to the back.  We passed the same big hogs we did last week.  Same spotted sow.

We went all the way to the bayou and to the cranky tree.  Randy and Kenny may go out there tomorrow and cut that trail.  That would be fabulous!

We started back and when we got up to the front part Reagen was crow hopping with Randy.  That is unlike him.  We came around to the bridge and went down the west side of Willow Bayou.  Biscuit was tripping quiet a bit and I got off AGAIN to clean those hooves.  Nothing in them so I think it is the saddle really pinching my boy.

We got all the way up to the front of the of the trail by the road and OMG there was an 18 wheeler size load of clay flattened on the top.  Sarge almost had a nervous breakdown.  He backed up from that and nearly ran over Biscuit.  Elan and Reagan were cranked a little by it too and Sarge scooted sideways and bumped into us.  I go off of Biscuit and we found a way around it!  It was a slim trail but we made it.  Reagan cripped up going over the bridge and Randy stopped to check his feet.  I walked Biscuit into the park area and led him over to a slope and mounted up.  I got off of Biscuit 3 times today.   

We went back the way we came though the woods and back to the trailers.  I got off of Biscuit and all of a sudden I heard a commotion of a horse running away like crazy.  I went to the end of the trailer to see Reagan shoot by the side of my trailer, saddle half off and rolling down and then under him and off while he took off.  OMG I thought it was Barry and Sarge.    Reagan was loose and not wanting to be caught.  Barry and Sarge kept him rounded up somewhat and we almost caught him by Biscuit but he took off again.  It took awhile to catch him.  Randy popped him good and put him in the trailer.  A little while later a big commotion and Reagan was out of the trailer and running around again.  We finally caught him and I am not sure what set him off today because he is normally the quietest horse.

Kenny showed up from the Kirbyville ride and we visited.  I tried the saddle forms on Biscuit and Elan while the guys visited.  We finally left and took the boys home to their feed buckets.

I loaded my trail from the Garmin and it was 8.4 miles.  Woot!!!!  Mapped another route!

No comments: