Sunday, January 9, 2011

Using my Garmin in the Park


Saturday Afternoon Ride


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking near Beaumont, Texas

I completed 3 three tier cakes by Saturday morning at 10:45 and Kellie and I were heading out to go riding.  I hitched up the trailer, gassed up and hauled to the barn.  Biscuit walked to the other side of the pasture but was really no trouble to catch.  He had a big scrape on his left butt cheek.  I loaded him up with no trouble...good boy!  Loaded the trailer with tack and off I went to the park.  On the way there, I talked to Lee Anne P who said that she put Legato in the pasture next to Biscuit and he was tearing it up in his pasture - running bucking kicking like a wild man.  She said "I told Biscuit Denise would NEVER get on him if she could see him now"  She said he is FAST and I had heard he is.  I just have never seen him run.

When I got him out of the trailer he was full of sweat.  I had the windows closed so they wouldn't be cold!  His hair is long though.  I brushed him - he was not dirty but I think he had rolled and had stuff sitting on the top and his hair was damp too.  His butt was shining to beat the band.  Good nutrition is coming out all over The Biscuit.  I cleaned his hooves with some trouble on the front left of course.  His hooves have grown out and I need to file them.  I will get Lee Ann P to supervise and I will try to file them some.

Kellie and I tacked up and I rode in the reins that Ronnie plaited.  I love those.  I set my Garmin (hoping it would work and I set it right!)  and off we went.  We went through the woods and the ground was soft and has some standing water but no problems.  We got to where we would go out onto the dirt road by the canal and there was a piece of bobwire we noticed last week right where we go out.  Kellie got off and picked up some and tried to pull up another.  She got out her knife that Frankie gave her and then we laughed because we couldn't close it.  We certainly aren't rocket scientist.  There was a buttonie thingy and after calling Randy and Hugh we got it closed and we rode down the side of the canal almost to the bridge.  We stopped and yakked.  It was hot in the shirt I had on.  We turned and went back into the woods and all the way around the woods.  We came out in front of the stables not beside it.

We had a great ride.  Biscuit was a doll as he generally is.  We decided to meet to go out to eat and we met at Cheddars and had a good time.  Back home and played with my Garmin and yes...we tracked!  We rode 4.9 miles and it took 2 hours and 30 minutes.  I now how the perimeters mapped.  Hopefully next ride will track all the way to the back.  I need on to map the interior of the woods and then all of the outlying trails.  We are going to Ebenezer in February - can't wait to do a trail of that park!!!
EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Texas

No comments: