Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Walking down the ranch road to the Crazy Place

I went out to the barn and got The Biscuit.  I picked his hooves and he was good with both of the back ones but he gave me flack with the front left one.  He kept putting it down forcefully no matter how hard I tried to keep it up.  He got two slaps on the shoulder and a stern stop that!  He finally let me do his hoof and didn't give me trouble with the right one. 

I was going to ride with The Lee Anne's.  I told them I was a little anxious to ride past The Crazy Horses.  They felt Biscuit would do fine with the other horses.  I got on and rode down to where Sinnaboo is.  She can run around like a crazy girl sometimes so I got off and said I was going to lead The Biscuit so he could see that the horses were just a little nutty and nothing to take off for.

We were keeping an eye on Snippy, Elmer and Spirit.  They were in the back of their pastures.  We were going along and I was ahead of them just a little bit.  The Crazy Horses came running up and Biscuit went on high alert.  They turned to run up to the fence and then took off snorting.  The Lee Annes were almost unseated...really more Lee Anne on Rogue.  He was cranked out of shape.  The both dismounted.  I had a good hold on Biscuit and he was moving around and highly agitated.  Lee Anne P decided to "walk the gauntlet" to show the horses that The Crazy Horses weren't going to hurt them.  We walked with plenty of space between us.  I stopped several times while Snippy rushed around and so did the other re re's .  OMG those horses are crazy.  We got to the end and walked them back.  We stopped in the center to let them calm down and eat grass.  I kept reassuring Biscuit that he was ok.

Elmer came up pushing on the fence trying to reach Biscuit and The Biscuit let a back right hoof fly.  Good thing Elmer moved or he'd have had a split lip.  Snippy was pushing on the fence too.  I think because they are never fooled with they are nuts. 

I told Lee Anne they needed to GO live somewhere else.  I walked Biscuit back and took his tack off and walked him back down to the pasture.  He has really put on weight and is looking great.  I think he will look fantastic in the summer.  His long hair on his midsection IS shiny now.  Woot!  Good nutrition is paying off.

Sarge is going to the vet next week to be tube wormed.  I think he needs a stronger wormer than I give him.

I am hoping to order Biscuit a new saddle soon.  My black Aussie is getting a little tight for him and I don't want to hurt the poor guy!

No comments: