Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Brazos Bend Ride

Friday's Ride

Saturday's Ride


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking near Pasadena, Texas

Sunday's Ride
 




Friday finally got here and I was at the barn at 7:00 AM in the freaking rain.  Lee Ann P and I had been watching the weather and decided to go no matter what.  I brought Biscuit up and got him fed.  The others arrived and we got the last things loaded up and then loaded the horses.  We took off for Brazos.  We had a good trip down but it was raining and overcast.  We arrived and registered at the park and then had to make our way to the equestrian park.  We went down a lumpy bumpy road that lasted forever!!!

When we got to the equestrian area, we had to set up camp.  We had 7 panels.  I bought 3, Lee Ann P bought 2 and the ranch had 2.  We were able to use the fence that was there and the entry gate.  It went up faster than I thought it would.  We unloaded the horses and Biscuit was a little nervous but he was ok. 


The new air mattress
We got the camp all set up - I slept in the back with an air mattress - and I had made soup in advance
 so we were set.  We hauled water in buckets from the water trough....omg that was hard and there has to be an easier way.  We saddled up and went for a ride.  All of the horses were a little jittery...Biscuit was but he settled down after going down the trail.  We sang Christmas songs - which may account for Biscuit settling down.  I am sure he thought if I would just shut up he'd behave!  We went down Sawmill Road Trail and it loops into a gravel road.  Biscuit wasn't too excited about the gravel and rocks.  He wanted to walk on the side that was very soft.  I believe they had laid a little water line and he sunk into it probably fetlock deep but he never got in a flap...he just kept going.
Saw Dust Road Trail

Huge Oak Tree makes a great back drop!


I wonder how old this tree is?

Water tank for a quick drink
The horses were a little nervous about this tank for a little bit.  They finally all drank out of it though.  This was near the river side trail and it was cooler over there and I was sorry I didn't have my gloves!!  It was a nice ride and we all had a good time.

I heated up the soup in the hot pot but it took a while.  The generator kept kicking it off and I would have to turn it off and turn it back on.  We finally unplugged the halogen light and we were then "cookin' with gas".  The soup was good except I forgot the noodles.  What an idiot.  It was rough going building the fire because it was so freaking damp!

Singing around the campfire!!

Biscuit and Legato
Biscuit followed Legato around like a puppy - he was stuck to her like glue.  There were a few little squeals and dust ups with horses but nothing bad.

It was cold but we were just fine by the fire.  When we went to bed I kept slipping out of the sleeping bag and I was cold!!  LOL  I asked Lee Ann P to help me zip it up.  OMG I was laughing so hard that I almost had asthma!!  We kept hearing something running over the top of the trailer and Lee P said something was scratching the window up where the bed was....AAACCCKKK!!

We all woke up alive though.  We got up before the crack of dawn.  We tossed out more hay for the horses and just kicked back and enjoyed the fire we restarted.  Later I made us Egg McMuffins.

When we fed the horses we had a real dust up.  Lee Ann P had salted the food and I think Legato wanted to check out Biscuit's - I am sure to let him know whether it was edible or not.  He thought his food was just fine and got really upset - swung around, ears back, her ears were back and he fired off with both back feet and kicked the snot out of Legato.  Poor girl.  She was limping a little but seemed ok.

I put Biscuit's hoof boots on so that when we went down the gravel rode he would not be ouchie on his feet.  We went along at a walk and it was a gorgeous sunshiny day.  We came upon a couple with a stroller.  Biscuit was walking towards them and I reined him to the far right and when we came abreast of them he got really excited, butt moving around and side passing.  I think he didn't understand what the little creature was in the stroller.  He was fine when we got past it but he was a little worried about it for a minute!!  We went around to the 3 mile trail that dead ends.  It was the prettiest trail of the system. 

Saturday's ride

Saturday's Ride
The colors were pretty and we were under a canopy of trees quiet a bit of the time.  Some up and down and winding around trees.  We did some trotting and it was just a blast!  Biscuit took off just before we got to another trail and he was galloping but listened when I asked him to slow down.  He is a good boy.  I couldn't ask for better. 

We rode 12.9 miles Saturday.  We trotted coming back but then we slowed to a walk and walked all the way down the trail by the road.  Legato wasn't feeling her best after getting the snot kicked out of her.  She was giving Biscuit the evil eye all day.  She was not a happy camper with him.

We got back to the camp and Legato was sucking up her gut and then she lifted up her back left leg and was trying to bite under her stomach.  Lee Ann P gave her 10cc of Banamine.  We watched her to make sure she wouldn't colic as she wasn't eating.  She passed some stool that was so hard it bounced.  Yes-bounced.  She passed several more stools that were very hard but she was passing them.

We needed to go get more water so I emptied my ice chest and Lee Ann P and I rolled it over to the water trough (about 125 yards or so) and filled up the ice chest and rolled it back.  OMG way way way easier than hauling water in buckets.  We filled up the water buckets in the pen and that was so much easier on the back!!

We got the camp fire going again and Lee Ann P was prepared to do the Dutch Oven cooking.  She started with the briquets in the fire can and then put the peach cobbler together.    Then the chicken dish - we had a big laugh because she forgot the rice so we decided to have it over English muffins. 
Peach Cobbler

preparing the coals

Delicious chicken dinner
I can truly say we ate like royalty.  Great food and it was hot!!!!  After riding in the cold weather something hot to eat was nice.  Hot showers in the LQ weren't too bad either!!!

We heard coyote's howling all around us Saturday night and they didn't sound too far away.  It was kinda neat to hear in person and not on TV!!!  It wasn't as cold Saturday night as it had been Friday night.  A cat had appeared that we made friends with ... he was a very pretty tom cat. 








Sunday morning we sat around the campfire and watched the sunrise.  We decided to pack up camp before we rode.  I took down my air mattress and we were all packing, cleaning and sorting.  Then we moved into putting the panels back on the trailer.  We tied up the horses and the panels weren't too hard to get back on the trailer.  We did learn a few things about it and next time it will be easier than this time. 

We then tacked up and took a little ride.  Down the pink trails that went to no where!!!  We enjoyed the ride and then came back, loaded up and hauled home.

We are already planning our ride in January in Ebenezer.  Woot!  Can't wait.  The reservation is made for January 21 and 22.  







No comments: