Friday, May 29, 2009

Education in floating teeth and sheath cleaning

Dr. Sherwood was out at the stables yesterday and today. I had the experience of watching him float teeth and clean sheaths. The teeth floating was pretty amazing. He was floating Blue's teeth. Blue is a HUGE Quarter Horse - so huge he looks like a small draft horse! He had been sedated and Dr. Sherwood had a drill with a specialized attachment to grind down the teeth. I got a good look inside a horse's mouth - wow wee - that was really something. Lee Ann flushed Blue's mouth out a few times with a big old tube of water...looked like a caulking tube. I was fascinated.

Dr. Sherwood said to clean their sheaths with Dawn - that the baby oil I used on Red was actually kind of caustic....poor RED!!!! He flushed it out really good with water and put Furazone in it just in case it was irritated.

I had wanted so badly to be a vet when I was a teenager. Sigh.....I would have loved that. I adore animals. I was talking to poor old Blue and rubbing his face and reassuring him. Bless his heart. I know the owners never come out there and he is just a pasture puff. He has a huge bulge on his back left leg just below the hock. It doesn't seem to bother him but it looks horrible. He has lots of boo boo's and scrapes. His mane is a twisted, knotted mess. That is terrible.

I went out to see Red and I gave him his alfalfa because most likely, I will not be able to get out there this evening. He is loved and pampered and in return he brings me peace and contentment.

No comments: