Sunday, May 31, 2009

Little Red Riding Hood


Red and I rode out today with LeeAnne Brown and Rogue. We had a great time. When I got to the barn a guy named Mike was there. He sometimes rides Ms. Jean's horses. His horse was euthanized last year due to colic. He can make the horses bow!!! I asked him about teaching Red to stretch out so I am going to try to teach that to him. Red is very smart and he is such a good boy.

Yesterday and today he acted like walking on the concrete was the devil. He would stop and just stand there. He doesn't see to be lame or really sore. Maybe they are tender? One of the farrier's said he might be from the shoes trying to uncontract his hooves.

We saddled up and went down the road next to the stallion, Sadda. Sadda came running up teeth bared acting like a stallion!! LOL Red laid back his ears and kept going. He was moving slow on the road. We got 3/4 down the road and he stopped. I made him go forward. He stopped again and I made him go and got onto him. He walked slow until we got out to the main pasture. The grass is really grown up!!! After we got out to the grass he walked much quicker! We had a good ride but when we came back to where the paddock/pastures start he startled right in the same place where he did with Barry. Krystina told me that lots of the horses startle there. Maybe there is a pit of snakes there. Red is not a spooky horse but his idea of spooking is really a giant flinch!!

We got back to the barn and I took his tack off and brushed him. He leaned his face on me and put his mouth on the side of my face. I guess that is close to a kiss!! He is such a sweetie. LeeAnne held Red's hoof while I took pictures for the farriers to evaluate.

I took Red back to the barn and he stopped dead in his tracks on grass. Now that is BS so I yanked his halter and swatted him with the end of the lead rope. That got his attention. His eyes were big and he was suddenly ready to walk like a happy camper. I guess he is testing me just a little but I WILL make him mind. I can't stand a horse that doesn't mind!!

I gave him a handful of alfalfa in the yard and because they were about to feed. I did put his alfalfa in his stall but didn't put him up. I walked back to the main barn and he got through with his handful and he came trotting fast up to the main barn and I am sure he was yelling "I can't get in the stall Sister. My alfalfa is calling me!" I hugged him up and had to leave.

LeeAnne and I are going to try to ride tomorrow.

No comments: