Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Rides at Ebenezer

Barry & Sarge cantering on the beach

We had such a good time this weekend at Ebenezer!!!  I got the trailer packed Friday and loaded the horses.  They both self loaded - they were ready to go.   I met Barry at the house and off we went.  We got up to Ebenezer around 2:30 or so.  We unloaded the horses and cleaned the trailer.  We saddled the horses and took off on a ride.  We rode down the trails to the Eagles Nest hill.   Red seemed to be having a hard time...he was breathing pretty heavy going up the hill.  I made him go first so he wasn't rushing Sarge.  Going down the hill I made him go first again.  He did WAY WAY WAY better going first than following someone!  I told Barry we would not go to the lake at that site but go to the right to the other beach so that we would have the time because we were going to Archie's for dinner.  We went up and down hills and Red did well going first.  He doesn't particularly like going first but I made him anyway.  We got to where we go down for the water and he LEAPED off a ledge and was trying to rush to get down.  I know he could smell the water and he was HOT poor guy.  His skin was very hot and he wasn't sweating.  I got him into the water and soaked him with my Sham Wow rag.   We finally left the lake and he was moving fast up the hill.  It is not a steep hill at all but he was wanting to canter and it felt like two little tiny bucks were thrown in.  Maybe not bucks...he is so high on the back end.  He also feels like he is going lunge forward so fast but he did calm down when asked.  He sometimes makes me a little nervous when he does that...yes I am a sissy...I can't help it.

I got half way down the road and realized my Sham Wow was gone.  That BITES.  We went to Archie's for dinner and had a good time.  Margaret, Millard and Barbara where there too.

I didn't sleep worth a darn on the new cots I bought...they were torture chambers.  I was up almost ALL night.  Gaaaa!  We saddled up and took off.  We went down the road to the where I lost my Sham Wow.  Found it!  Red was leading and doing a piss poor job.  He walks so tentatively when he is with Sarge and leading.  We got back on the road and went all the way down to where you would turn to the right to go on the trail to Eagle's Nest.  Kept going.  I was tired from not sleeping.  We went to the left back into the other side of the park.  Down to the center and I told Barry I would go back to the park by myself so he could ride a faster/harder ride.  I went down the trail towards the Park.  Three times I heard Sarge calling for Red!  I stopped and talked to some ladies on the trail.  Got all the way to the trail head and took the front trail all the way down to the creek.  It was a long solo ride and I was so proud of myself.  I made my way back to camp because I was tired, hungry and thought Barry might be back and cranked up because he wouldn't know where I was at!

Barry & I drove to Letney Park Road and looked around and then around the road that goes around Ebenezer.  Woot...it comes out on Letney Park Road.

Barry & Sarge on the beach
We went for another ride later Saturday afternoon.  We went down to the lake and there were a bazillion boats.  We went to the far left side and I got in with Red.  A dog came charging up to us and Barry got in between us.  LOL  The guy annoyed Barry because he didn't say anything to us or really try to stop the dog that was baring its teeth.  Red is not fond on dogs - glad there were no issues.  We got to the top of the hill and went left.  Nice trail until it ended!  We went back to the road and down towards the park.  We went right at a gate area.  We went down a wide road that was going towards the center of the park.  LOL When we go to the middle where the trails meet Red hung a hard left!  LOL  he knows his directions and that was the way BACK to camp.  We went back to the camp and got cleaned up and went to The Stump and met Ronnie and Margaret for dinner.  We had a good time.

Barry & Sarge - gorgeous scenery
I slept better and woke up around 4:00...got up at 6:00 and watched the sun come up.  Margaret came and we rode to the lake and all around the park.  We rode some trails I hadn't been on.  I cantered a few times and Red did terrific.

Margaret was going to lead Red through the fanoodles.  She hooked onto his halter and went through - omg he sat back and I was screaming for her to turn him loose.  It was scary.  She dragged him through a second time and it wasn't fun.  She jerked him up and he bopped her in the mouth with his bit....we were our own rodeo.

Barry & Sarge on the beach - isn't the cliff beautiful
Margaret had called her little friend Billy Morian to shoe Red.  He was a darling young man.  He did a good job on Red.  We packe dup after lunch and hauled home.  Red was a little tender getting out of the trailer - he always is tender on those toes!






Barry cantering down the beach








Boats at Ebenezer Beach

Horse that was actually hurt - he was throwing a major fuss

Denise riding the trails

Red and Denise in the lake - Red plowing in because he was hot
Denise coming up the trail



Denise & Red enjoying the cool water

Denise & Red in the woods

Spiders abound

Enjoying the scenery

Denise & Red

Denise & Red

Coming up the trail Denise & Red

Coming up the trail Denise & Red

Margaret turning Cub

Margaret, Cub, Denise & Red

There are no purple funnoodles in the forest Sister so why should I go through here?  It ain't happenin'!

No comments: