Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Sad Decision has been made

I have made the sad decision to let Red go to another owner.  He is not able to ride trails for hours on end in the heat.  He is fine from September though May but he must have special care from June - August and I have found the perfect person to give him that care...my cake buddy, Heather. 

If this were not for Red's health he would never leave my care.  This has been so hard - I couldn't sell him....I would have nightmares worrying that someone would not be taking care of him like I do - or love him like I do.  I called Heather and said I was letting Red go and would she be interested...she said she would love to but couldn't afford a horse like Red.  I said "he is not for sale - it is more important that someone give him a good home".  She can give my boy a good home thank God.

Heather is a former vet tech and she and her daughter are working on dressage.  Her daughter was in a show a few weeks ago and did a good job!  Red is more than capable of that in the summer and he can also hit the trails in the fall and winter.  I think they will be a perfect match.

Still, it is hard for me to say goodbye or actually happy trails til we meet again.  I plan on going to see him in shows if I am able to.  That would be so wonderful to see my Dashing Big Red in a show with a ribbon on his bridle. 

Red will be going back to Louisiana where he was born and bred.  I will be taking him on October 1st.  I will be a mess I know when I leave him there.  Just thinking about it makes a lump in my throat.  Heather blogs too, so I will be able to keep up with my boy and we can talk on the phone so I can hear all that he is doing so he is not gone - just living somewhere else - making someone else a wonderful boy.

No comments: