Sunday, June 14, 2009

Going for a ride in the Brenderup and Sarge's history


Barry and I went out to the stables today to try to load the boys up. Red was about 1/2 way out in the pasture and Sarge was across the pasture at the water trough. I called to Red and he came trotting up fast! I was taking pictures of him and when I scroll through them on iPhoto I can see him trotting up and it cracks me up. We decided to load him up and work with Sarge later.

We led Red up to the trailer and he went off the side. Barry popped his butt and Red decided getting in the trailer with the center bar in place worked just fine. LOL he is a hoot.

Sarge wasn't so interested in trotting up. Barry had to walk out there and then Sarge started walking up to the front but didn't let Barry catch him until he was already up here at the front. He walked away from Barry but up to me....LOL I guess he likes alfalfa more than he lets on.

Barry led him up to the trailer and I stood beside he so he wouldn't come off the side but he did anyway. I got some alfalfa out and took the lead rope. I gave him a nibble and backed up the ramp pulling his lead rope. Barry was behind him tapping his hinney and he went up the ramp in the center. I had the alfalfa encouraging him to move over and walk in. Finally he did! I backed under the breast bar with the alfalfa and Red's big head was all over me sniffing out the alfalfa! LOL I had two of them wanting a treat. Barry put the butt bar on and we waited a few minutes and gave them more alfalfa. We closed the back ramp and went down the road.

While we were going down the road I called Ray to tell him we would not be able to come today. I asked him about Sarge's chest and it was evidently caused by a kick but was not serious. I asked him about the names on the registration and I did get history on Sarge! He was foaled on large ranch in Louisiana (both of my horses are Louisiana bred horses!) and the godson of the man who manages the ranch got him when he was 2 years old or so. Evidently, the godson got the pick of 2 geldings before the big sale every year. He trains them, returning one to the ranch for the yearly sale and keeps one for himself to sale. So Sarge and another gelding were the cream of the crop. He started to break Sarge and Sarge had an accident of some sort - not really sure about that - but he cut his knee badly. The vet of choice had retired but did come to the clinic because of his relationship with ranch manager and treated Sarge. He said to turn Sarge out for 6 months and he'd be good to go.

So Sarge was turned out. When the guy pulled him up to start the retraining process it was already time to get the next two geldings. The man that trained Sarge, Ray, had wanted a gelding out of the sire of Sarge and so the owner said come get him and if you like him you can purchase him. Ray worked with Sarge for a month and said he wanted him! Young owner said $1500 and Ray said that was too little. Young owner said he hadn't paid for him (well, he really does though - he trains a horse for a horse!!!) and the vet bill hadn't cost him anything either. He said Sarge was a $5000 horse (I guess that is what they generally go for at 2 years old at the auction they have every year on the ranch) but he was more than happy to see Ray get him and train him.

So Sarge stayed with Ray and was trained as a cutting and cow horse!! Ray said he can fox trot which I believe I saw him doing yesterday. Ray kept him for 3 years and since he breeds horses and trains he decided to promote his own lines so Charlotte was the lucky recipient of a terrific little horse and now we are the lucky recipient!! Ray said he'd love to keep up with Sarge so we are hoping to go up there soon to visit with him.

We took the boys to Pat and Mary's house and they came out to see them along with Pat Hebert and Jonell Bertrand. The horses had both pooped LOL so the ramp was pretty messy.

We went back to the barn and we unloaded Sarge and tried to load him back up. He wasn't too excited about it but after a couple of tries we were successful!!! Woo HOO!!!! It still takes two people but he will get better as we work with him. I pulled Red out and went to reload him and he went off the side. Barry popped him on the hinney and he was more than happy to hop up. LOL Red is such a sissy - and I love it that he is! We gave the boys their alfalfa and hugged them up. They behaved so good today I was thrilled.

Red comes running now for the most part when he sees me. It has really taken about 3 months for him to do that. He knows he is my horse now and he loves me! Sarge will actually come to me first. He is such a sweetie too!

No comments: