Monday, June 8, 2009

Red Letter Day - the first time we ride together on our own horses!!!




Today was a Red Letter Day!!! Barry and I went to Houston to see his doctor and then we went to Charlotte's Saddlery to look at saddles. We checked out a bunch of saddles - Barry sat on quiet a few of them and finally decided on a Billy Cook in a dark cherry finish. It was the most comfortable saddle he tried. He bought a headstall and a breast strap and I got a purple brush and purple sweat scraper!

We ate at Pappacito's which was delicious and then we drove home and rested. We finally went to the stable and I paid Miss Jean and visited with her for a few minutes and then got Red out and saddled him up. Barry had already put his saddle on Sarge and it fit and looked terrific. He was riding when I got Red out and I took Red into the arena. He stood still while I got on - he is a good boy.

I rode him round and round and I actually was able to get him to side pass! I was thrilled. My boy is brilliant. Barry worked with Sarge and he is still learning his buttons. The man who trained him had called me this morning but the connection was bad. I called him when I got home from the stable. He said that Sarge was a wonderful little horse and had been his on personal horse. I discussed him training Red and he said that Sarge had had several years of training! I asked if he would show Barry all of his buttons and he said sure that we could come this weekend. I said "if I can get him into the trailer!"

He said "what do you mean? That horse will get in any trailer - I just put the reins on his neck and he jumped in!" I said that Charlotte didn't haul him that much so he was a little hesitant to get into my trailer because it was different! I told him that I had a Brenderup and he said "A Brenderup? Did you go on a trail ride with the Cowboy Church a few weeks ago on a big good looking gelding?" I said "yes sir". LOL He was on that trail ride and remembered the trailer and Red!! He said is that the gelding you want training on? I said yes and he said "he just needs miles!" I know Red is pretty darn good - it is probably me that needs training!

We are going up to see him Sunday in the late afternoon. I am taking Red too!

I spoke to Margaret and I am going to start riding Red with the Martingale. I am looking forward to riding him tomorrow.

No comments: