Friday, June 5, 2009

We Picked Up Sarge Today!!!


Barry and I got up early and left to go get Sarge. I was so excited!! We got over to the pasture north of Vidor and visited with Charlotte and Mac - they are such wonderful people. Barry gave Mac a tour of the Brenderup.

We got Sarge out and tried to load him but he was not too excited about getting in the Brenderup. He would get half way up the ramp and off he would go. We tried all kinds of stuff but he wasn't having any of it and we didn't want to scare him because he will have to trailer in the Brenderup! Mac and Charlotte offered to pull him in their stock trailer - he had loaded up the day before for his Coggens. He was not too excited about getting in that one either! I think he was highly excited - Beau (their other horse) was running around calling to him. I think horses know what is going on too. Poor darling! I know it was hard for Charlotte to let him go too. She loves him and I told her she can come see him any time and ride him too! I hope she does. That would be so much fun!We finally got him in the trailer and we headed for Dr. Sherwood's office. While we were waiting on Dr. Sherwood Sarge was calling to the horses in the paddocks - LOL Red could never call out that loud - his sounds like a little strangled whinny - but Sarge has a great voice!!


Dr. Sherwood did a very thorough exam of Sarge. He put calliper thingies on his hoof and frog to make sure he didn't have any hoof issues - he has great hooves!! He took him inside the clinic and checked his eyes and ears. We went outside and he did a flex test on him and watched him trot out and walk. He checked to make sure he hadn't been given excessive amounts of pain killers....Charlotte and I both learned something new...you press their jugular vein and if it doesn't puff up about the size of your thumb they have collapsed and it is indicative of excessive pain meds. Fascinating. He passed his vet check with flying colors and we were off again to the stables.

Charlotte and Mac liked the barn and I know she was pleased that he would be in a good facility. I know I would fee that way if I had to sell Red - I would want him to have a good home. I showed her around and we introduced the horses to each other!! They got along wonderfully. Red dashed off, Charlie and Sargent chased with him. They ran around but never kicked or got ugly. Red was sniffing and smelling him and once Sarge looked like he might give him a kick but he didn't and Red behaved wonderfully. I was so relieved.


Barry and I left to give them time to settle down and we went to 5 Star Feed to get the boys some alfalfa and Barry tried saddles. We went home for lunch and dropped off the trailer and then went to Sam's to look at saddles. We went back to the barn and we checked on the boys again! We went back later and took them out to groom them. Sarge was a little unsure of walking through openings. We got him into the washrack and a little later he backed up until the elastic bands broke and he walked over to the arena and just stood there. We took them back to their barn and we tried to entice him into the stall and it took quiet awhile but he finally came in . It as hot and humid as all get out. He seemed to really like alfalfa!!! I am going to try to get him into the trailer next week with alfalfa.

No comments: