Thursday, June 11, 2009

Loading in the Brenderup

Barry hauled the Brenderup out to the stable today and down to the pasture Red and Sarge are in. I got there and drove down to the back. We put the halters on the horses and lead them out. Barry said to load Red up first.

I tried to lead Red up the ramp but he kept going off to the side. I didn't want to beat his butt in front of Sarge and scare him but Red is going to have to learn to load not matter what. I went and got some alfalfa and showed it to Red and that big hunk of doodie couldn't get in the Brenderup fast enough. He is so funny. I tied him and gave him some alfalfa.

We tried to load up Sarge but he wasn't interested in getting in. Finally we took Red out and I put him back in his pasture. I dropped the butt bar and put the divider to the side. We both tried to entice Sarge with alfalfa. He walked up the ramp and stood there after awhile but he stepped back out. We both worked at coaxing him and he would start to come up and then go back down.

I went up to the barn and got his feed for the evening. I worked hard at coaxing him with alfalfa and the grain. He finally came in and Barry pulled the rope up and he stood for awhile and then he backed out quick and kind of threw his head up. He didn't try to run off though. We worked back and forth walking him in and him backing out. He is not as motivated by food as Red is! Red is a chow hound.

We kept working at it - Barry told him he was demoting him from a Sargent to a Private! I called Kay at Brenderup and she said keep working with him with feed! I guess that is a good motivator. I thought about having him put in a stall and seeing if food would get him there tomorrow!!

Barry got him back into the trailer and I walked up behind him and put my hand on his butt. He wanted to move back and I pressed him forward. I knew he was too well trained to step on me. When he would try to move back I pressed him forward again. Barry was feeding him his grain and talking to him. I said toss out my lead rope and I quietly got off the ramp and go the rope. I latched it to the gromlet thingy and pulled it behind Sarge's butt like a butt bar would be. He seemed fine with that. I used my hand to try and move him over to the side. Then I held on to the rope and slowly moved the center bar. Sarge siddled over slowly and I held the rope close over his hinney.

I had that sides butt bar on the ground so I slowly took the butt bar off the other side and slowly put it into position and Sarge was fine with that. We kept talking to him and petting his rump and he finally finished his grain and alfalfa. We kept him in there for just a little while and then I told Barry to tell him to "stay". I removed the butt barr and Barry gave him the command to back up and he slowly walked him half out and stopped him. Sarge stopped and waited for the command to move. Barry told him to back up and he slowly backed down and out.

We praised him and let him eat grass and his alfalfa. We finally put him back in the pasture with Red. What a good boy!

We are going to give it a whirl again tomorrow and see about loading them both up. Don't know if we are going to drive with them or not. Maybe Saturday. We are going up to the trainer on Sunday so I want him comfortable with the Brenderup.

I let Kay know we got him in there and how good he was. She said she was selling plenty of Brenderups and that is great. I told her if anyone wanted to see my trailer they were welcome to come look at it and I would be glad to show it to anyone. She is such a nice lady!

No comments: