Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Riding in Evadale - Did Red throw a buck?


Susan H. called me Saturday evening about going riding. I called Ray and we made a plan to ride at his hunt club. I called Lee Ann B. and she joined in on the fun.

Susan and Lee Ann met us at the barn and we cleaned up and loaded up the boys. We hauled over to Evadale and met with Ray, Raymond and a nice lady named Gail (who is the mom of the lady Stacy that I rode with a few weeks ago).

We saddled up and I discussed with Ray and Raymond about Red's issue with the saddle. I had a new gel pad I bought in Houston. Red's tail was swishing to beat the band. We went down the dirt roads, trotting quiet a bit. Lee Ann's horse was trotting along and I got to see some of his fancy Tennessee Walker walking! Raymond was riding a Tennessee Walker too.

Red was very forward but swishing away and OMG he shook head to tail and toe about 10 times today. He nearly threw me off doing that.

Barry, Ray, and Gail were ahead of me and I let Red gallop (he really takes off) and was slowing him some and I felt him slip in the back end and then buck up or kick up. I shrieked "RED!!!" Whoa! LOL I know I sounded like an idiot.

I trotted him out later and a good clip and he was still shaking me like a blender. I know there is something up with this saddle and it has to go. When we got back to the trailers Ray called a friend that wanted to sell a Tucker and the gentleman brought it to me to try. It is dirty but not tore up. I cleaned it later and it is ok.

I am now in the market for a saddle. I called Margaret because I was so caught off guard that Red would even buck up kickup or whatever. That is not in my boy's nature.

I have looked at a bazillion saddles. I like the Australian saddles. They are nice looking. Next weekend I am going to try out the Tucker, try Lee Anne's Steele and use of on Margaret's saddles. I spoke to Archie today and he said that Millard had an Australian saddle that perhaps I could test. Sigh.....I just want my boy comfortable.

I called David the farrier and he is going to shoe Red Friday. I really want to take Red to barefoot. Perhaps David can just put new nails in Red's shoes? I'd like as much sole to grow as possible.

We are going on our camping trip with the boys this weekend at Ebenezer! I can't wait. I am going to make a chicken/sausage gumbo for Saturday night's meal. Sandwiches for the rest of the time. I can't wait!

No comments: