Sunday, October 11, 2009

What an adventure!

Red is ready to go



Red and me by the lake





Margaret and Cub in the lake



Ray, Bruce and Stacy



Packed back up and ready to go







I got up at 5:45 AM Saturday morning to go on my camping trip. I loaded up the car RAV and hooked up the Brenderup with no problems EXCEPT to swing the wheel up. It had sunk in the mud. I pulled the trailer backward and forward to get it in position to raise the wheel. Finally I was able to go!

I went to the barn and loaded up the trailer and went and got Red. He loaded up quickly and we were on our way. I stopped in Jasper and went to the ladies room. It was overcast and slightly cool.

I was talking to Margaret and she was coming from the other direction. We met up going down Hwy 63. We got to the site and unloaded the horses. We made sandwiches and had a quick lunch. We then saddled up and hit the trail. OMGosh it was FUN. We went down the little deep hill at the front and Red LOVES to go as fast as I will let him. I think he is a budding endurance horse! I remembered some trails and wanted to go to the left. LOL we went to the right. We went up that tall hill and I held Red back some. We went down the steep hill and Red wasn't to happy - I wouldn't give him his head and held him back. He was tossing his head, shaking it side to side and popping his tail. Tough stuff....do as I command. I want Red to mind at all times. He wasn't too happy but he minded. We went down to the log he wouldn't cross - he still won't cross it. I had to go around and we went to the water on the right. We took some pictures. We went to the left where we hadn't gone before. It was kinda neat.

We went on riding and Red did a great job. Over and under up and down. We went back to the camp and rested and went to the bathroom. The horses rested and then we loaded up and went out again. A little boy asked us why Red's feet were blue! LOL Red had on his bell boots!

This time we went to the left. Down the hill Red loves to run down and run up. LOL I am getting brave. We went up down and around again and came to a puddle of water that covered the trail. Cub didn't want to go! Margaret kept urging him to go with her spurs and Cub was snorting, grunting and blowing up a storm, weaving from one side to the next, backing up. He was not a happy camper. Margaret turned him around and backed him into the waterand then spun him which he likes to do. It wasn't more than ankle deep. Margaret said a root in the water bothered him. This took about 5 minutes! LOL I think Cub has holes in his side that water is going to leak out like a cartoon - he has sprung a leak! Red went through the water like a trooper - he didn't want any part of Margaret getting a hold of him! Lots more water and muddy crossings but the trails were really sandy so they weren't bad at all. We turned around and went back so we didn't get caught in the woods at night!

We came to Red's favorite little hill/valley/ditch thingy. Margaret walked Cub down and then let him charge up from the bottom. I let Red trot down and he exploded up the other side! LOL My goodness that boy has a HUGE stride. I was leaning forward and banged my stomach on the horn. I told Margaret I could feel a bruise coming and when I got home that is what I found! A big ol' bruise!

Red would make a great endurance horse. He loves going on the trail and is very forward...such a difference to riding in the arena. We got back to the camp and washed the horses. I called Archie and told him to come on over for lasagna. We set up my tent and ate dinner. The horses were fed and watered and had hay.

Archie stayed awhile and then had to leave. Margaret and I took showers up at the bath house. Not too shabby! I ended up using Margaret's blow up mattress and we sat up awhile and then crashed. She went to her trailer and I got in the tent. It was not cold at first but during the night I added 2 blankets. I slept ok...I did hear Cub all night banging his bucket! LOL

We got up early this morning to a misting rain. Margaret had to leave and go to her church because RDF was starting to film for the segment they are doing on their church.

Ray and Bruce were coming up to ride with me and brought a nice lady named Stacy. We took off and went down a different trail. We saw a doe and a half grown fawn! They were so graceful with their flopping little tails.

I enjoyed the trails - they were great! We crossed through an unmarked area to get to a different trail and it was the one Margaret and I were on. We went through the scary place where Cub was busting a gut. We went through a creek thingy that was about 2/3 up Red's legs...Pretty darn deep but he didn't care. We zig zagged up a hill which Ray said is good for teaching manners - that is true. Red needs to learn not every hill needs to be charged. Lots of logs to step over. We went down a deep little place and I insisted Red WALK. He was pretty ticked off but we made it anyway. We went through another unmarked place and Ray told Stacy and I to go up the hill and around. The ground was soft there and Stacy's mare sunk down to her hocks! Red sunk down but not that far. I don't know if it was animal dens or what. We got it though! We went on and down to the lake in another place than where we had been yesterday.

Red is a poop eating dog. He loves to get up other horses behinds and lays back his ears flat if a horse comes up his backside! He got in trouble a few times for that. He wants to GO on the trail and I worked with him to know that he doesn't have to speed up going up and down him all the time.

We rode for about 2 hours and then returned. I had already folded up the tent - Bruce and Ray had helped me. When I took Red's tack off I was standing by me and he put his muzzle up against my face and leaned into me with a hug of his on. God bless him...he is so sweet! I watered Red, cleaned the trailer, dumped poo, gathered buckets, put up tack and finally loaded Red up. I took the trash and dumped it and then went up to the restroom before leaving. I made a sandwich, got a coke and chips and headed out.

It looks like a Covered Wagon!!!

I stopped in Buna to get gasoline. I got 13.20 mpg hauling. Not great but ok. A man approached me and asked me about the Brendup. He said he'd never seen a trailer like it. I gave him a little tour and he asked about what it was made of. He asked about Red and said the wagon looked like a covered wagon!! LOL that is hilarious!

I was almost home - exiting for Cardinal Drive on the curve. Doing about 50 mph or so. Some fricktard in a minivan pulled out in front of me. She hesitated then went and PUTTED. OMG what an idiot. I had to slam on my brakes and I pounded on the horn. I had a bazillion things run through my head of my trailer flying off the road with my horse and my RAV. Thank God all I felt was a bump bump bump and my trailer following right behind me. I was pretty annoyed at that idiot. She could have gotten Red and me killed.

I got back to the barn and went down to the pasture. I let Red out and he and Sarge charged around the pasture - racing around. I put my Tifton hay I got from Margaret in their paddock and in the shed. I turned the trailer around and went to the barn and unloaded my stuff and then came home. I am TIRED!

I had such a good time and I can't wait to go in 2 weeks.

No comments: