Monday, October 12, 2009

Does Red's Saddle Not Fit?????





Last Wednesday or so I noticed a smudge on Red...I tried brushing it off but it stayed. It was whitish hairs and later they popped out on the other side - same shape. UGH. Margaret said his saddle was rubbing and to get another fleece blanket. I went today to 5 Star Feed to look at blankets. I talked to the lady there and told her the problem and she seems to think that Red's Saddle doesn't fit him. Barry thinks it is the up hill - down hill riding I have been doing. Whatever - I can't have my boy being hurt. Anywhooo....I called a saddle place and asked about the bars in this saddle and he said they were Regular Saddle Bars - I thought they were full quarter horse bars. UGH. I may have to get another saddle. If I do I think I will be leaning towards either an Australian saddle or a Tucker saddle.

I will call Charlotte's Saddlery about fitting a saddle to Red. 5 Star can do it but they don't have either of the saddles I am considering.

Red lost weight this week. I looked at him in corral and I could see his ribs some. He is so hard to keep weight on. I got his food for this weekend and put it in Gallon Baggies. I put two of the scoops in the bags. He ate every bite plus his hay. Margaret said he needs more groceries. I talked to Lee Ann P. today at the barn and discussed upping his grain as he is losing weight. I will also be putting hay out for the boys. She agreed and I said I would discuss with Margaret on how much grain. According to Edgar I gave him 6 lbs with the two scoops. I told Edgar I would come out and feed the boys unless I called and told him otherwise. LOL Sarge will be eating Red's feed if I don't watch him.

I went back to the barn this evening and scooped up their food. I gave Red 2 scoops and Sarge 1 scoop. Sarge was running Red off and he was coming to me instead of Barry. LOL Barry finally took both buckets and poured Sarge's and walked Red down to get his. Sarge finished his food in record time. Obviously he can eat faster now that his teeth were floated. He went after Red's food and we had to shoo him away but Red was already through really. We gave them a bucket of hay. There was still some from the day before which is good. My boy was full.

No comments: