Sunday, February 7, 2010

Red is gimpy and I was knocked on my butt today

I went out to the barn to ride - I was excited that I was going to ride in the back by myself for the first time.  I got out to the barn and was actually talking to Margaret when I drove out to the back.  I could see Sarge down on the ground with all fours under him.  Red was laying FLAT on the ground.  I nearly had a stroke.  He didn't get up when I drove up.  I got out and hollered at him and he still didn't get up.  I was in the fence by then and running...I hung up on Margaret after yelling Red was down.  I was yelling RED's name like a crazy woman and finally he raised his head and got up.  OMG I thought he was colicking again.  He got up slowly and stiffly.  Sarge had came towards me and I petted his face and spoke to him.  I went to Red and Sarge followed.  He gave Red the heave ho and Red moved and I was telling him to be still so I could check him out.  I went around Red and Sarge was giving him the heave ho and "herding" him.  Red jumped awkwardly out of his way and came right at me.  I put out my hand and Red bashed into me and I stumbled to the left and I lost my balance and down I went ... busting my big butt.  OMG I don't know who looked more shocked, me or Red.  I started toward the front telling Red to follow.  I was going to get his halter.  He was not really following.  He stopped to urinate and a few seconds later he pooped a little.  I ran Sarge off and fussed at him.  I got Red's halter and walked out to Red and he was very reluctant to follow me.  I called Margaret and she said he was probably just stiff from his ride and to ride him to get the soreness out. 

He was slow moving all the way to the barn.  I brushed him and he ate alfalfa.  He was reluctant to walk on the concrete but didn't see to be in pain.  I brushed and brushed.  He even dropped and I cleaned him as he was pretty darn crusty.  I cleaned his hooves and checked his feet and legs out.  I saddled him and led him into the arena but couldn't get on him.  I would have felt bad!    I decided to give him a hot scrubby bath and asked Barry to bring me towels.  I couldn't get the water right so I just washed his legs with liniment and rubbed and scrubbed his legs.  I dried his legs with a towel.  I put his blanket on him to keep him warm and dry tomorrow. 

I went back to the barn this afternoon and filmed him and let Margaret see the video.  She send me a message later and said she thought he pulled something and he needs some bute.  I will drive to the vet tomorrow to get some bute and give to him before I go to work in Liberty.  Hopefully, he is just sore from walking on rocks?  Maybe he pulled something?  Did his saddle cause him issues.  AAAUUUGGHGHGHGH.   I don't know.

No comments: