Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Trip to the Vet

I got up at 5:55 AM this morning to a slow drizzling rain.  I couldn't find my keys and I almost had a stroke.  I found them (thank God) and got the trailer hooked up after a little fight with it.  It was still too high to set down on the ball.  I told Barry I want it set down on a paver so I don't have this trouble again.  I can't stand to fight with the trailer because I am not good at that!

I went out to the barn and turned around right at Red's paddock!  I was so proud of myself.  I couldn't have done that when I first got it and I didn't get stuck in the mud either!  Red was moving stiffly, Sarge was smelling my hood on my hair as he always does!  Red got into the trailer easily...he'd walk over hot coals for alfalfa. 

Got out to the vet's and he had me trot him down the center aisle.  Red was g-i-m-p-y!  Doc used those hoof testers on him and that caused heavy duty flinching.  Doc said "easy fix...it is an abscess".  He showed me how to doctor it with black stuff, baby diaper, duct tape.  He gave him a hit of Bute in the jugular, dissolved antibiotic tablets and gave orally to him.  I will soak his foot in hot water and Epsom Salts every day and give him 2 turns of the Bute.  Hopefully I can ride him on the 20th up at Ebenezer.  Doc said if it comes out I should be able to.  He said he will probably be worse in two days and to bring him back and he will dig it out.  Poor ole Red! 

He was so patient and sweet...Dr. Schneiter told him "don't get too exited".  LOL  I said, "he is just this way all the time...sweet as he can be".  I brought home the black stuff, antibiotics, and more Bute.  I put Red in the little arena with his food and some hay.  I have to run to the Dollar Store to get the stuff Red needs.  I am so grateful he is ok..and it is not something sinister!

No comments: