Thursday, February 11, 2010

Red is a Gimpy Boy

On Monday afternoon Red seemed a little better.  I walked him up to the front and Lee Anne P.  took his digital pulse and she didn't see anything.  He was walking somewhat better but not great.  Of course he is on Bute so I am not going to give him anymore to see if it is more than muscle aches and pains.

Tuesday I went out there before going to Louisiana.  He is a little better but still gimpy Gimpy GIMPY.  Barry gave him alfalfa and checked on him Tuesday evening.  Still Gimpy. 

Wednesday I checked on him before going to work.  Gimpy and not wanting to walk much.  You can tell he is hurting.  I called Dr. Schneiter and told him what was going on and he said bring him in the morning between 7:30 and 7:45 AM.  I gave Red and Sarge alfalfa and hugged him up.  I feel so bad for my boy.

2 comments:

dazey said...

Because you are still learning (aren't we all) I want to leave you this comment. I've had way too much experience with laminitis, and when my horses are gimpy that is what it usually is. I have one mare that can get laminitic from eating carrots, so I'd be very wary of feeding her alfalfa hay. She gets only grass hay mixed with timothy in forage that is labeled "safe starch". For about six years I'd learned how to keep this mare free of episodes of laminitis, so imagine my chagrin when she completely foundered this past August after I didn't pay attention to some of the lesser ingredients in a supplement of ground flax seeds I was giving her. She became desperately ill with a raging fever. She is 16 with genetic health issues that caused me to opt out of any agressive treatment. I knew it would be a long haul, but used pelleted bedding that absorbs well to cup her hooves and put her on stall rest. She spent most of her time lying down but did get up to eat only the safe starch forage three times a day. In the beginning she was on sparse intervals of bute and sometimes banamine to mitigate pain. Now six months or more later she is convalescing and stays out of her stall for several hours each day walking around to give her muscles a chance to regain strength. I have other horses that haven't had to experience laminitis, but I've learned the hard way that you have to be very careful with this insidious disease.

On a different subject I'd like to recommend a small paperback available on Amazon to add to your journey of learning. It is Basic Training for a Safe Trail Horse with subtitle of Eliminating the Fear Factors. It is a narrative that can give you some valuable information you cannot find elsewhere for the happiest of trails!

Denise said...

Sorry I didn't see this til right now!!! Red is all better after the abscess drained!!! I will get that book and read it. I need all the help I can get. Hope you visit again and please weigh in again!!!