Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Treating an abscess - Red smells like yukky cheese

I got out to the barn and took Red out of his stall and over to the wash rack.  His duct tape boot was tow up from the flow up.   His blanket had a big blob of bird poo on it...ugh.  I took his blanket off and he was sweating a little under it.  UGH...he smelled like old cheese - old nasty blue cheese.

I cleaned his hoof and put two new diapers on his foot to take him to the vet.  He didn't want to get into the trailer so I got my buggy whip and tapped his hinney from under my arm like Ray did.  He got up into the trailer easily.

We hauled him out to Doc's.  He came out of the trailer like a good boy and stood so quietly.  Kellie and Randy showed up to check on their horses and we chatted and laughed with them.  Red was good for quiet a while but he got a little antsy - really nothing...just bobbing his head some.  LOL  He is so good.

When Doc got to us he looked at Red's hoof without the diaper wrap and had me trot him up and down in the runway of the barn.  Barry said he never got to see me run...Randy said "She runs for Red...and for Doc".  LOL  They are too funny.  They were giving me and Kellie the raz over our sleeping habits such as shaking our feet going to sleep - Kellie said it was an inherited family trait - I guess she is right!

Doc picked up Red's hoof put the hoof testers on it.  He flinched some but not as bad as he did the other day.  He dug into it with a farrier's knife til he hit blood but no pus.  He said it wasn't ready yet and put Red's hoof down.  I picked it up a few minutes later and there was blood on the floor - poor guy.  He had diarrhea and OMG it smelled horrible.  Like a person with a bad stomach.  I cleaned it up and told Doc when he came out.  He had said to be on the watch for diarrhea because of the meds but Red hadn't had diarrhea in the trailer...very soft and wet but not runny.  Doc said it was just nerves.  Poor baby.

Doc made his little boot...way smaller than mine and we had a big laugh over that.  Barry said it was a good thing he had a case of tape because my "boots" were huge!  Melanie made the one I saw - Doc's was way smaller so it will be smaller tomorrow!

Doc said it might take 2 or 3 weeks for it to come out so we shall see.  It was $35 tonight.  I think it may come out now faster since there is a hole in Red's foot.   I hauled Red back to the barn and gave him his Bute and his antibiotics.  Back into his stall with his alfalfa.  Hopefully he will smell better tomorrow!

No comments: