Saturday, February 6, 2010

Riding at the 10 Mile Hunt Club

I called Kelly and Randy to go riding and Robin called and wanted to go too!  I called Raymond and asked him to go so he said he probably would meet us out there.  I went to bed all excited about it.  Barry and I got up with morning and went to the barn to get the boys.  I went down to the pasture to bring them up and Barry loaded the trailer.  I was grooming Red and he seemed a little skittish this morning or excitable.  I was going to lunge him but Barry said "groom Sarge and I will lounge Red."  He had Red running around in a circle and Red was full of piss and vinegar this morning.  We got loaded up and off we went.  We had to make a detour in Vidor and the mileage was 31.  Accounting for the detour it is probably 29 miles from the barn to the hunt club.

When we got there, Robin had already arrived and Raymond and Mr. Short where there.  Kelly and Randy pulled in about 10 minutes later.  I tacked Red up and I really like my Aussie!  I actually started out without anyone else because Red often doesn't want to go out by himself but he set out this morning very forward.  I didn't go far but Barry wasn't too thrilled I set out without him.

We went down to the first fork and turned right.  We went down a little while and I be doggone...it was a LAKE!  In we went...it was almost up to their knees and it was not just a little short way.  It was quiet awhile and I think the horses were walking on rocks.  We finally walked out onto a little spot of rocks!  Randy's horse had come up with a split hoof and he was WAY behind us.  He and Kelly had to turn around and go back as he couldn't walk on the rocks. 

We continued through the water and it was sometimes almost up to their bellies.  The hunt club had put up Tbars with yellow tape to help people know where the road was because there were creeks that had overflowed their banks and the water was running.  The horses did a great job of not freaking out and they just kept on walking.  I think it was kinda a hard go though because of the rocks.  Red would sometimes slow down and watch where he was going.  We went down a road where they had an oil platform set up and the horses didn't even give it a look.  Red seemed very thirsty and he kept stopping for a drink when we went through alot of water.

He was walking with his head down and I think he didn't like the tight breast strap but he did a great job today but he did seem tired.  LOL  Poor guy, he is hauling around a chunkybunky and he hasn't had much riding this winter.

Raymond was riding Comet - his gated horse.  He doesn't know what breed but thinks it is a Rocky Mountain Horse and I would think it is.  He is that unusual mocha color with amber eyes.  He started gaiting and he was MOVING!  Wow.  It was pretty to watch.  I did take some FLIP video's but didn't get any of Red.  Barry isn't much on taking pictures. 

We had a good time and want to go again.  We talked to Robin about riding next Sunday and we set that up.  I have a wedding Sunday and she has baseball.  Raymond may go with us, too.

We ate at Novrotski's and then went back to the barn.  I groomed Red, put hoof hardener on his hooves and trimmed Sarge's bridle path and his muzzle.  Lee Anne wants to go riding with us Sunday so I am looking forward to that.  Mike was there working with one of the little Arabians.  He is amazing.  I wish I could do that with horses.  I don't know squat!  I cleaned the horse poop out of the trailer.  My trailer needs to be cleaned.  I am going to pull the hay and grain out of it tomorrow and hopefully power wash it.  It is gross!

No comments: