Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ebenezer Park at Sam Rayburn Lake






We got up this morning and got ready to go. We went out to get the horses and they were close to the gate. They both RAN off like crazy horses. Back and forth down the pasture, Red slid a little on the wet grass. I have NEVER seen Red run like that. It was hilarious. He also runs beautifully. Red flopped down to scratch his stomach which was a hoot. We got them rounded up and I offered them water but they weren't interested.

We loaded them up, thanked Archie for his hospitality and off we went. (Archie needs to get a horse so he can go with us. He is fun!)

We got up to the park and met the people with the group we were going with...Kelly, Randy, Kent, Denise, Pam, James, Saran, Susan and several others. Krystina, Lee Ann Brown, and Lee Ann from Plum Nearly were coming up after lunch. Everyone was so nice. We got saddled up and finally we were going riding!!!

Through the forest which was stunning. It was overcast and a wonderful temperature. A little humid - like dripping wet humid but it was nice. We stepped over tons of logs, through little slews & streams, we went up a high beaver dam thingy, Ugh...I had to turn Red around carefully. Red and Sarge behaved beautifully. Red went unhesitating into the water. We went around tight curves, deep cut trails. Red was trotting quiet a bit and we loped coming back from the beaver thingy. Woo Hooo it was FUN. Red went over logs that were good sized but one I chose to go around. Most of the way was sandy which was nice. Lots of tree roots for the horse to step on or over. Red rarely stumbled - actually, he didn't really stumble at all. Sometime a little over some tree roots but ALL of the horses were doing that. He did fantastic so that tells me with certainty, his stumbling is SHEER laziness and not picking up his feet.

The forest was so pretty and we went up hills and down some hills but nothing huge. Just sheer fun. We loped on the home stretch and that was so much fun. Red was sweating to beat the band which I was thrilled with. We finally got back to the camp site and unsaddled the horses. I gave Red and Sarge a bath. They were soaking wet with sweat so they were rinsed off and tied to the trailer. We ate lunch - sandwiches and cold water.

The Lee Anns and Krystina arrived around lunch time. We were talking to Kent by our truck and all of a sudden I heard Rrrrrrriiiiiiiiip!!!!!!!!! Sarge had got the gusset of the Brenderup Trailer tier cover and pulled! He tore it to pieces! I yelled "SARGENT!!!" He looked at me with the most innocent face. I told Barry he'd better do something with his horse!!! LOL I couldn't believe that little pottae did that!!! What a pill. Later he was putting his teeth on the tire and I told him to STOP. We took a long rest - too long for Red. He was ready to go.

We finally saddled up again and off we went. I went down a deep little hill that early we had went around on the flatter side...woo hoo...it wasn't too deep or steep - probably 16 feet or so. It was fun. Working those butt muscles. Susan's Arabian mare was being a pill and she was making her go in circles. We went along around bends, turns, stepping over logs, going in deep little trails. We got to a TALL, pretty darn steep hill and up we went. Red was wanting to literally run up it. I had to keep him pulled back just a little. Wow...it was tall, and our horses did great. It was FUN. We went a little way and then had to go down a VERY DEEP and VERY STEEP hill. Red wanted to go too fast and I was having to pull him up some. He was crowding Sarge. It was so steep, and Red is EXTREMELY high in the back end it felt like I was vertical. I was leaning back and actually was holding on to my cantle to keep from going forward. Saint's perserve me, I NEVER thought I would do something like that. It was a blast...a little scary but fun. We kept going.

There finally was a tree Red refused at. Sarge, with a little urging, jumped over! I asked Red and encouraged with the spurs but he still wouldn't go. I had to go around up a hill and down a steep gully wash. Down and around we went to the sand beach and to the water. Red and Sarge went in! Red was pawing at it. We went down the water and around a fallen tree and the horses were all sinking knee deep in the sand that was soft right there. Red never panicked. He did great. We went back around the tree and Red continued to splash in the water. He thought that was great.

We went back the way we came, Red still refused the big log, so we went the other way again. Lee Ann - Barn Manager - Lee Ann's mare, Lagato, plowed up the steep hill, got to the top, jump straight up in the air and kicked. LOL she was being a pill and Lee Ann is the bomb dot com to have stayed on!! We went around to the left eventually, not going back up the way we came. It was deep hills but not super steep like the other ones. Lots of trees to go over and one deep funky little stream that the horses were refusing. They all went eventually but they were having a time. Pam's gelding, Rocky was circling and she was insisting he go....he finally did with a huge jet engine propulsion of gas. It was hilarious. When he got on the other side, another hug propulsion of gas...I think they heard it on the East Coast!!

We went down to the beach in another area and Red got into the water again. We were walking in it and he sunk down to his chest! He didn't panick and neither did I. We loped on the sandy beach and in general, had a great time. We loped down the side of road. Nooks and crannies and my sissy boy did a great job. He was sweating but not breathing hard. I loved it. So did Barry.

We finally got back to the camp site and unsaddled the horses. I washed Red and Barry did Sarge. We put stuff up, cleaned the site, and thanked Kelly and Randy, Kent, Denise, Pam and James. They were all so very nice.

We went over and chatted with the Lee Anns and Krystina. I was getting a head ache and we made sandwiches and off we went home.

The next ride is October 31-November 1. I made a reservation for Friday, Saturday and Sunday for that weekend. I also made a reservation for October 10th for Saturday - Sunday. I hope Margaret can go with me. Woo Hoo, that will be fun. I love riding in the woods. It was a blast and is why I bought my horses.

No comments: