Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What a beautiful day and Sarge has issues.

Today was GORGEOUS - it was nice today - clear skies and it wasn't hot. We decided to go ride. We went and got the horses and I saddled Red. Barry was working with Sarge and he was not happy about having the bit put in his mouth. He was pulling back and stomping around. I told Barry to untie him so he wouldn't get hurt. Barry finally got the bit in his mouth and he was fine. I told Barry I need to take him to Dr. Sherwood and see if he has a bad tooth or something. Charlotte told me he gets upset sometimes taking the bit out and to go slow and be careful. She taught he had been hurt by someone taking the bit out rough. Hummm...

I called Dr. Sherwood's office and he is supposed to call me back. I got ready to get on Red with my Ghetto Step. It was harder in my boots than my shoes. I will still keep stretching and working on it.

I rode Red around in the small 1/2 arena. He did fantastic - I turned him in the large circles and he did exactly what I wanted.

Barry and I rode out to the back of the property. They had burned the fields. I asked Barry to hitch up my stirrups one notch and I think that worked better. We went to the left and Red and I loped down the back stretch. Good grief he has a LONG stride...feels like he is going really fast!!!! We got down to where the big log is in the corner and I asked Red to go over it. LOL he side stepped it!! He is so funny - he is like "why go over when I just side step around?". He is to smart for his own good! He happily stepped over the other fences. We loped again and this time Red was going at a much slower lope. Good Boy!! He was sweating before we started out so his sweat factor is working. Woo Hoo.

We got back to the barn and Sarge was not wanting Barry to take the bit out. He had his head up so high! Barry was trying to be gentle with him. I told him to stop and let me get some alfalfa. He said that wouldn't work. I got a handful of alfalfa and took it to Sarge. I held it under his nose and he dropped the bit into my hand. Bless his heart. There must be a tooth that hurts. I am going to take him to the vet Friday and see if he has a bad tooth or if it is just the memory of a hurt from before. If it is a hurt from before we will work with it. I told Barry we will give him a bite of alfalfa to put the bit in and to take it out to make it pleasureable. Or maybe a sugar cube so that he will associate taking the bit out or putting it on with something pleasant. Maybe it is a bad tooth or they need to be floated. We will find out!

No comments: