Sunday, May 2, 2010

Riding My Boy

I went out to the barn today.  The day started off overcast but by the time I went to the barn it was a bright, clear blue sky day!  I went down to the boy's pasture, they were on the other side at the other gate.  When Red saw me get out he came walking/trotting over.  He is such a big old sweetheart.  I love my boy. 

I brought him up and got him tacked up.  Lee Anne Brown was there and we were chatting about Rouge's issues.  He looks fantastic!  He is almost totally jet black since he has been out of the sun.  Wow!  He looked like tar.  

I put Red's bridle on and it was way too long, like someone had messed with it.  Hum.....Lee Anne and I took it up and I went into the arena.  I told Lee Anne I always get a little nervous getting on.  Red moved once, started over.  I stepped in but couldn't throw my leg over as the saddle moved.  I came off.  That makes me even more anxious..  Lee Ann said "grab his mane - not the horn" so I did.  I was up and on.  Red and I walked and trotted around and around.  Side passed both ways and he did great.  I would stop to talk to Lee Anne and he started to walk away and he was made to back up quickly.  With the new bit, he will back up fast to get off the pressure. 

Chelsey came out and visited with us and said she'd like to ride so I let her ride Red.  She rides very well...I am jealous!  She just loved Red and said he was such a good boy.  She hugged him up when she got off.  I told her he was a total sweetie and he is.

I took his tack off and gave him a bite of alfalfa.  He loves his alfalfa.  I gave Red a bath - he was a little sweaty, but the bath was more to make him feel good...it was hot!  I scrubbed his tail and mane and put condition in both and combed it out.  His mane and tail felt coarse and I want them to be silky feeling.  I will have to keep after it so that his hair feels soft.  He is shedding out nicely.  I noticed he had lost some weight though.  I will have to talk to Lee Anne P. about it if I think he is losing too much.  I want him to gain weight not lose it!

No comments: