Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Red Letter Day - I rode out of the arena by myself!!!!!

I went out to the barn today and brought Red to the washrack.  His shoes are SUPER loose.  I tried nailing them back on but they are still clanking.  I tacked him up and mounted up in the arena.  Woot - round and round waiting on Esther.  Esther came into the arena and we started.  Jogging around and around, hands low.  Turning Red and using leg cues to move him closer to the rail and he responded!  Woot!  We turned circles and u turns at the corners.  For the most part he and I did a good job.  He wasn't wanted to side pass in the beginning.  Worked on sitting straight going around corners.  Esther talked about flexing at his poll and taught me how to work with him on that.  I will work on the ground and in the saddle on flexing.  I am going to read up on that. 

After the lesson was over, I kept riding in the arena, round and round.  Lee Anne P.  came and rode in the arena for a short while and then out in the front pastures.  She suggested I give it a try - and I did!  She was watching me though.  Red behaved quiet nicely.  Barry arrived and Lee Anne suggested I go out in the back, she lent me her helmet and I rode Red down the ranch road and when we got to the trees I rode next to the trees.   It was blazing hot.  Down to the end....he had a tiny spook but just in place.  Down to the end and to the left down the back pasture.  Snippy came thundering up but Red was ok with that.  I was so proud of him and ME!!!  I am going to work as often as possible.  I rode for 3 hours today and enjoyed myself so much!  I love my boy!

No comments: