Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Screaming like a girl

I got out to the barn at 1:25 or so for my lesson.  I had been to Silsbee and Lumberton and was going like a wild woman to get back to the barn.  I didn't have time to warm Red up good.  He was a bit of a pill today.  Part of it was using both sides of the arena.  He wanted to turn when he wanted to turn instead of when I wanted to turn. 

I worked on stopping correctly. Sitting back on my butt and dropping the reins immediately when he stops so that he will square up.  Red was giving me a little bit of guff on turns so I would use the outside rein to bring him to the right spot.  I was going to give the canter awhile in the little arena.  I got him into a canter on the right side of the arena and he started going towards the center and I screamed "I am scared" like a girl and halted him!!  I am laughing at myself now, but I felt like I was bouncing around too much and I felt like he was going to turn at the edge of the arena too sharp and that I would come off. 

Esther rode Red for me and he was giving her some guff too on how he was turning.  He was just being a pill today.  She got him into a canter and she said he was rough and that she could understand my fears.  He doesn't keep pace and when he drops the pace and goes into a trot/canter/messed up thingy it makes me lose my balance.  She went round and round the arena at a canter with Red and I will be working on it this week.

After the lesson we were in the corner of the arena talking to LeeAnn B in the washrack and Red was all up in Esther's koolaide!  He likes her or he wouldn't be doing that.  She kicked his butt and made him mind but he likes her anyway.  I had to make him stand off aways and be still.  He wasn't too happy with having to stand but too bad.  When we were through yakking, I went up and hugged him and turned and said come on boy.  He followed me like a dog.  No leading...just him following.  He was the biggest pill he has been since I got him but we will be working on it as often as possible.

LeeAnn B won't be going this weekend to Ebenezer but had a site that she is "selling" to us.  I want to stay at Ebenezer in the trailer and Barry agreed.  He said anything is fun once.  LOL  I am excited about it.

So this weekend we will stay in #5.  I will be taking tarps, the little air conditioner, air mattress, sheets and pillows.  Can't wait!!!

No comments: