Friday, April 3, 2009

Red gets a new stall and paddock

When I moved Red to PNR I was told he might later be moved to the back barn and today was the day. They moved the broodmares over to the barn Red was in. He and Duke shared a stall with a metal divider that can be removed to make it a double stall for broodmares and one of the mares is in foal and due next month.

Red is now behind the main barn with a paddock twice the size as before. Edgar put his blue feeder in his new stall and he has a corner feeder too, and an automatic water dispenser. The stalls are not real big - quiet big enough for the smaller Arabians but Red is a pretty big boy but it is enough room for him.

Barry went out and rode him today. I met them in the back pasture and Barry was working on Red not wanting to haul hinney back to the barn! He also worked on getting on and off and Red standing still to do so. I am trying to teaching him "stay" just like a dog. We brought him back to the barn and I groomed him. He wasn't hot except under his saddle blanket. He was shedding pretty good though. Curry and brush is getting the job done. Barry cleaned his hooves out so he was pretty clean. I had him in the court yard working on "stay". I stood him straight and walked to the end of the lead rope. He kept wanting to follow me and I would back him up and say "stay". We are going to work on that everyday til he stays like a dog. Barry said he had to chase him for 20 minutes. That bites. We are going to have to work on that too. He is a pretty good boy but certainly not perfect.

No comments: