Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Groomin' my gimpy boy

I went out to the barn and actually fed Red. I don't normally get to feed him but today I did. After he ate I took him out to the wash rack. I tended to his cut - it was crusted over with dirt, etc. I didn't want to peel it off and cause it to bleed so I put the salve on after dabbing it with a wet, clean Sham Wow. I started brushing him and he is still shedding. I got down to his legs and both his back legs have that fungusy yuk. I rubbed them gently with the rubber curry comb and the little hairs were coming out with the skin crud attached. I brushed him with the bristle brush and did the backs of his hocks really well because some of the fungus looking stuff was up there.

He dropped and he was somewhat dirty so I took baby oil to his sheath and it still had some crud in it so I tried to be gentle and get it out. He didn't have a bean though but since Krystina just cleaned it I wasn't surprised. He didn't seem to mind, bless his heart. I did his hooves with Pine Tar and then scrubbed his legs with the iodine and Baby Magic. I think I was making his legs a little sore because when I hit them with water he picked the back right one up to let me know it was too much - too many.

One of the boarders came from the pastures down the road and she was leading her saddled horse. He was cutting up and Red perked up his ears looking at him. That horse was full of beans - glad I have my mostly sweet calm Red.

I took him back and he is a little gimpy on the gravel and when I ask him to step off the concrete into his paddock. He will toughen up though. I went and put his grooming supplies away - I need more fly/mosquito spray - and got his alfalfa. I put his joint suppliment in the hay and took it to his stall. OMGosh he is crazy for alfalfa.

When he perked up to looked at that horse cutting up he almost took my breath away. He is such a beautiful horse...maybe I am prejudice but I don't think so...he is just a looker!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Neice, get some Chlorhexiderm shampoo and start bathing him in that. Its the base of surgical scrub. Lather him up, let him soak for AT LEAST 20 minutes, then rinse him, that'll kill your rain rott.

Denise said...

Thanks Heather!!! Will it work better than the iodine wash? That is what I was told to use and it seems to work but I didn't let him soak for 20 minutes.