Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Red has issues.

Last Sunday we went and rode Red in the arena. He did wonderfully for Barry but I didn't ride. My back was hurting and I was tired from working on my wedding cake and driving up to get Morgan in Jasper after prom. Heck my feet and hands were full of fluid and they felt like sausages.

I went to see Red on Monday and groomed him but it was spitting and sputtering and threatening to rain. I have been searching for a farrier and think I have found one up at Texas A&M. I am going to make an appointment tomorrow.

I had to go to Baton Rouge yesterday and I did a training today for Sherwin Williams. I finished the training and drove home. I met Barry out at the barn and I was going to ride with Krystina.

Red was in the wash shed and he lifted his head over the wall and showed his teeth to me. I wanted to crack up laughing. I hugged him up - I missed him. I had Barry get on him first and ride him around and when I got on him he was acting like an idiot....backing up, pawing, and being a handful. I got off.

Can you say wienie? I am a wiener. Barry got on him again and rode him in the arena. I got on him and he was giving me a fit - as much fit as Red gives...he would have got away from me if I hadn't had a good handle on him. He just broke into a trot and was not happy I stopped him. he was pawing when I stopped and acted like he was pissed off when I asked him to back. I thought he was going to rear up. WOW wee he was a pill for what he normally is. I rode him around several time and got off and we just stood there. When he went to paw I jerked him up and said NO. Barry said it is just because it is feeding time but so what! Barry rode him again and he was being a bit of a pill with Barry too. Barry says no but I think he was. Barry got off of him and I thought Red looked funny...like he was leaning over about to fall. I went up to him and told Barry he didn't look good. I looked at his left front leg and it was trembling hard. I told Barry he is hurting. Is it his feet? I took his bell boots off and Barry loosened the saddle. I walked him to the wash rack and rinsed him off. He seemed fine then. I walked him over to eat grass and I was really worried about him. I took him to his stall and he was eating his grain. I went into the hay stall and stuffed a handful of alfalfa through the holes. He ate that up. I left but said I would be back!

I went home and called Margaret on the way. I was worried he was colicking or something. She said to go check on him afterwhile. I went back at 8:30 and turned the lights on and he was fine. He wasn't down in the stall. He had pooped and pee'd again so he was fine.

Barry suggested that he cinched him too tight like when I dropped him to his knees. maybe. I think he was in pain.

I will be out checking on him in the morning. I am going to have them cut back on the protein in his food and hopefully move him out to a pasture instead of stalled. I think he might be happier that way.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Poor fella, I sure hope he's ok.