Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cleaning the Sheath and Calling the Farrier

I called the farrier today and left a message. He called me back and said he would come tomorrow to put Red's shoe back on. Christy went to the barn with me and then we went to Liberty for me to call on WalMart. We had a nice lunch and then back to work.

Jacque called me and asked that I be the Alternate for Area 4 and I agreed as long as she was Alternate for Area 2! So we are going to see if that works out.

I went back to the barn later this afternoon - I had purchased baby oil and Mennon's Baby Magic Wash. Red's sheath is pretty darn nasty and needs to be cleaned. He drops it when I am grooming him sometimes so I wanted to hit it with some baby oil! I told Krystina what I wanted to do and she said she would show me how. Ok....I groomed Red within an inch of his life. He has like a fungus on his white leg in the front. I need to get some Betadine Wash for it. I scrubbed it with my soft rubber curry which he thought got old really quick. I scrubbed/rubbed/brushed off as much of it as I could. He dropped his package and Krystina grabbed it and oiled it up!! LOL I poured the oil in her hands and she rubbed it on and checked for a bean...Red had a pretty good sized bean. She went up inside and was pulling out black gunk that looked like strips of dried up black fondant. LOL Bless his little heart - he was SO good. He never even flinched or moved around or offered to kick. Krystina said he was such a good boy. We stopped when the little girl came up for her lesson. Thank goodness she didn't see Krystina with her hands up in his business!

I cleaned his hooves and put the hoof oil on them. Ugh...Maxwell came up and was eating the yuk out of Red's sheath...gag!

I put Red's alfalfa and joint suppliment in his stall. I gave him a couple of handfuls of alfalfa to munch on and I could tell he was full....he had already ate his grain when I got there. He ate it but he wasn't having fits like he usually does! I put him in his stall and went home. What a busy day he had!

No comments: