Saturday, April 11, 2009

Loading the Brenderup


I got up this morning and drove the Brenderup to the barn. Easy to pull - so far so good. I let the ramp down and go get Red. He is so easy to catch now. I can walk right up to him so that is wonderful. I put his halter and leadrope on him and off we go.

I show him the ramp and he puts a hoof up and then down. LOL Krystina was trying to entice him and he was unsure of that ramp. I went and got a handful of alfalfa - he walked right up into the trailer. He is an alfalfa nut. He promptly christened the trailer with a load of poop.

I backed him down the ramp and that is what he is majorly unsure of. He was on his tip toes looking for his "step down". He was trying to come off crooked and I was working with him to make sure he unloaded safely. He finally backed off and we loaded again and put the butt bar up. Lee Ann and Krystina liked it and I think I do too.

I groomed Red and Morgan came out to eat lunch with me. I fed Red his lunch that Krystina made for him so that he was fed and ready to go. I had called Cindy and I planned on going riding with her out at Tyrrell Park. Krystina helped me put his boot on, I loaded the trailer with his stuff...saddle, bridle, hoof pick, hay bag (who's tag sliced my finger) and water for me.

I loaded Red and he went right in and Krystina helped me back it up and I did pretty good. I took Lee Ann for a tiny spin and she liked the trailer. I go down the road to Tyrrell. I get there and there is a HUGE motorcycle rally thing going on right across the street from the barn and it is loud. Probably about 40 bikes. Cindy, Fern and another lady are all saddled and ready to go. I take Red out and Kelsie held him while I tacked him up. He didn't want to stand still while I mounted though and Kelsie held him. I stepped in stirrup and down I went. Put stirrup back on and got on. Wow...he was all hopped up. I was surprised. He is normally so good. We go back behind the house and he is being a handful and I am thinking...this isn't going to be good. The trail is sloppy full of mud and he has that funny boot on. The horses are all spooky and Red is full of beans. I get off and say it is not a good day for me to end up on the ground. He was not listening to me. I did walk with them around to the front of the park (they were going to hand walk into the marsh instead of the trails...too muddy) and he was head up, stepping way on out and I thought uuugghhh no. I loaded him up and went back to PNR.

Once he was there he was as calm as a cucumber. I guess the bikes and the other horses spooking, wearing that boot, loading in an unfamiliar trailer and ramp was too much, too many for him. Barry rode him and so did I but we took the boot off and he is a little ouchie. I tried to give him a peppermint but he refused it...he is not a sweet freak. He just wants alfalfa. I gave him a bath and scrubbed him up and put pine tar on his hooves. Krystina said that Reagan is coming out Tuesday. I am going to take the other shoe off and work at making Red a barefoot horse! It will take some time but I think we can do it.

Barry took him to his paddock still wet and he dropped and rolled. I came with the alfalfa but he was not allowed in the stall...it wasn't feeding tim and so he will have to wait.

Barry hauled the trailer home and he worked with me to get it into the back yard. I finally gave up but did make some headway. I backed it up at the stables so he could pull it home so every little experience helps. I don't think it will take long before I can work with it easily.

No comments: