Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Trip to A & M












I went to the barn Monday evening and Red is sweating just a little. I licked his neck LOL and he was a little salty. I called Margaret because I was so excited. I just want him to get better!

I went home and hooked up the trailer and put it on the driveway. I got up at 5:30 to get ready to go. I go out and the trailer lights don't work. Margaret said it sounded like the ground want making a connection so to pull it to the barn and it should connect and make a ground. I did..wasn't working when I stopped for gas. Started working when I was at the barn. Sigh!!!

There were some men working in Red's paddock when I got there. I called Red and he started trotting fast towards me...stopped and darted into his stall. I know him...he thought there was food in there. I was calling him and all of a sudden he exploded out of his stall like a starting gate and bucked across his paddock. LOL he came to me then and I put his halter on. I took him into the wash rack and wet him down.

He gave me trash getting into the trailer. I waved his alfalfa and up he went to his grain waiting in his bucket and off we went. Picked up Margaret 4 minutes later than we had wanted to leave so that was good. We left at 7:48 am. We stopped on Reins Road to get a coke and use the restroom. We drove to A & M and got there just after 11:00.

Jason came out and he had a vet student with him. He examined Red's feet and thought they had grown well. We went back to the farrier's station and he started working on Red's feet. He said Red's little right foot is pretty funky...almost a club foot. He and Margaret talked about his foot from the time he was a baby. He worked with it and said he thought it was the best he could get it. He is still a hi/low footed guy though. I will probably always have to keep him shod.

I went into pay and Margaret took Red to the trailer. He gave her trash about getting in too. She jacked him up. LOL he was more than happy to get into the trailer. We took off - and stopped at Starbucks. We gave Red his lunch with a Shiner Bock and trotted in for a cool frappachino and a donut for me and zucchini bread for Margaret. We stopped a little later at Burger King...heck it was nearly 2:00 and we were starving. Red got a bag of hay and we left the side doors open so he'd be cool.

We stopped in Conroe for gas. I looked at one of the tires and thought it was low. Margaret got some flat fixit just in case at the store there. Judy Kay came over to see him at the station and we chit chatted. Before she got there I went in and bought 2 gallons of cold water for Red. I dumped one gallon into his bucket and he drank 2/3's of it. He pee'd in his trailer...a bunch....poor thing...I guess he held it as long as he could. He has poop and pee making a disgusting little brew in the trailer!

We went down the road and pulled over to look at the tire. Not as low looking. We went to an O'Reilly's to get a tire gauge and they all had 34 lbs of air. Hummm....I am going to inflate them to 42 lbs. They hold 50. The trailer did feel a little swayyeee...moreso than before.

We got back to Beaumont and I dropped Margaret off at her car and Red and I hauled it to the barn. He came out pretty as you please and Sergio had his food ready. I asked Sergio to get his alfalfa and he did.

I was TIRED when I got home but had to get ready to go to Houston. Stuffed what I needed in a bag and off Barry and I went to Houston for his procedure. I am now sitting in the hospital room and they are releasing him NOW!! WOO HOO... I am going home to see my boys!

No comments: